Koodo Community

Community

Can a prepaid sim card be used on an unlocked cellphone? (I'm thinking about trying a SKY Device)

Need a new phone, interested in the Blu/Sky devices, because of the prices. I currently have a prepaid sim card with koodo, I heard that you can't use a pre paid sim card on an unlocked phone, that it would have to be pay as you go. Sounds a little hokey, but thought i would double check. Just trying to figure this all out before I buy.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Yes, you can use a prepaid Koodo SIM card with an unlocked phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check out the exact model of phone you want at willmyphonework.net

If the handset is compatible and unlocked, there is no reason a Koodo prepaid SIM won't work in it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only sky devices that use 4G LTE are the 5.0L, 5.0LW and the 5.5L. If you are interested in using LTE than this is something you should consider
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

The only sky devices that use 4G LTE are the 5.0L, 5.0LW and the 5.5L. If you are interested in u...

I picked up a Moto G4 Play at a Loblaws "Prepaid Cell Phones Express" kiosk for $129 (regular $149). It was locked to President's Choice prepaid (Bell) so I bought an unlock code for $3 (mobifree.net). Loblaws also gave me 20,000 PC points because I spent over $50.

Staples wants $250 for the unlocked version of the same phone.

It works perfectly with Koodo prepaid - didn't even have to enter the APN settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

The only sky devices that use 4G LTE are the 5.0L, 5.0LW and the 5.5L. If you are interested in u...

Koodo only charges $240 for the Moto G4 Play and you get a $100.gift card with it making it $140 so when that sale ends on the 15th at Loblaws, Koodo will have it at a better deal again but nice find on your part!
Userlevel 4
Allan wrote:

Hey ray do they give you information on how to unlock the phone i see mine is $ 5 lgg4 and is that in Canadian funds thanks
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

Yes, after you pay they send an email with instructions. They charge in Canadian dollars.
Userlevel 4
Allan wrote:

And after you can use your cellphone on any carrier that you want if i see a better plan some where else
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

Yes, it will work with any carrier that supports the frequencies the phone uses. 
Userlevel 4
Allan wrote:

Thanks Ray for the information i will still stay with koodo never had a problem with them yet but i will get my phone unlocked if i see a better begin some where else but so far there all the same in Quebec thanks again
Userlevel 4
Allan wrote:

Oh ray can you pay throw PayPal
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

Worked for me.
Allan wrote:

• Bands: 2G 850/900/1800/1900
3G/4G 850/1700/1900
3G/4G 850/1900/2100
LTE: B2/B4/B7/B12/B17

So, if this is what the info says ^ , it will carry on the network? (As long as the imei checks out)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

I believe you are referring to the Sky 5.5L and yes, it will work on 3G and LTE networks for Koodo. Koods networks are as follows for future reference: HSPA 850/1900 LTE 1700/2100