Koodo Community
Solved

Calls over wifi protocol

Hi, I live in an area where cell reception is spotty (Millbank, Ontario, Canada, if that matters). My previous phone supported wifi calling no problem. Now, I’m an early adopter of the pinephone, and I’m learning that every carrier supports calls over wifi in their own way, and it appears that koodo uses voip, and that leads me to a few questions.

1.  How does android detect if wifi calling is available? Is there a protocol that cell phones can use to query the carrier for available features? Is that standard?
  2. Is there a way I can use the information from my simcard to initiate a VoIP call on linux?

I’m a software developer, and use my cell phone as a primary way to call/contact people, so ensuring my pinephone can make phone calls wherever I am will not only make my life easier, but also possibly help other people using this phone.

I’d be willing to discuss this privately if there is NDA/proprietary information around this.

icon

Best answer by Goran 6 April 2021, 15:38

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

This is the info Koodo provides about it. I'm afraid I'm not aware of the coding behind Android to answer better about how. You could try sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook messenger or dm via Twitter to get some technical assistance towards the better though.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

This is the info Koodo provides about it. I'm afraid I'm not aware of the coding behind Android to answer better about how. You could try sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook messenger or dm via Twitter to get some technical assistance towards the better though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. Wifi calling isn’t a simple feature that you can turn On/off at your device via programming. It requires an activation process  and Koodo didn’t make it easy. You would have to use certain phones listed in the link above and activate to use it at their end. 
  2. No, you can’t use Koodo SIM as a VoIP service. And Koodo is doing all they can to discourage you from doing it.
  1. Wifi calling isn’t a simple feature that you can turn On/off at your device via programming. It requires an activation process  and Koodo didn’t make it easy. You would have to use certain phones listed in the link above and activate to use it at their end. 
  2. No, you can’t use Koodo SIM as a VoIP service. And Koodo is doing all they can to discourage you from doing it.

I want to be clear, I’m not asking if this is a difficult task, I have no doubt that it is. What I am asking is if there is any documentation, completed work, or direction I should take to find out how to do this. The thing is, there has to be some affinity between koodo, my account, and my SIM that allows me to do wifi calling, and determining what that is, and how I need to talk to a koodo server will solve my questions.

I appreciate you taking time to answer my question, though, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I want to be clear, I’m not asking if this is a difficult task, I have no doubt that it is. What I am asking is if there is any documentation, completed work, or direction I should take to find out how to do this. The thing is, there has to be some affinity between koodo, my account, and my SIM that allows me to do wifi calling, and determining what that is, and how I need to talk to a koodo server will solve my questions.

There was no “difficult” word in my comment though. I thought my comment was that Koodo didn’t provide you the document and tools to do it. You might want to search other Android developer forum for more information.

There was no “difficult” word in my comment though. I thought my comment was that Koodo didn’t provide you the document and tools to do it. You might want to search other Android developer forum for more information.

I don’t want to argue semantics, but:

Wifi calling isn’t a simple feature

I’d say “isn’t a simple” is the same as saying “is a difficult”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t want to argue semantics, but:

Wifi calling isn’t a simple feature

I’d say “isn’t a simple” is the same as saying “is a difficult”.

Because you translated my words into something else, that didn’t mean i said so. The sematics was there but if you didn’t want to accept it, it is your choice.

Let find an analogy for it. If you are going into a door and it was locked. Entry using that door, of course, isn’t “easy”.

However, you could choose various other ways to make entry - which is not “difficult”. You could go to another door or going via the windows or just ask someone else for the key.

If you choose to go with the door by breaking it, then it is “difficult”. It is then your choice - not my words or the reality.