Koodo Community

Calls from (5977682091 ) Suriname

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Keep getting calls from there and can't block the number because they alway change the last 2 digits.

https://who-calledme.com/Number/597-768-2091

Am I the only one on Koodo's network that's been happening? If not, could it be related to the Desjardins data breach? I'm not even with them.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They just really really like you
I have the same issue!
I am also having this issue. It is so annoying. What does it mean
Userlevel 6
Find a call blocker that blocks with wildcard. 597*
I have the same problem! They only call for a half second. I don’t understand what they’re trying to do. I’m so fed up.
Yes! I'm having the exact same issue. It's driving me nuts. Is it only happening to people with Koodo?
You're not the only one Robert! I've had 30 calls in 8 days and as you mention, can't block them because they change the digits each time.

Has anyone been able to address this without downloading a blocker app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Find a call blocker that blocks with wildcard. 597*
Have any to suggest? It doesn't stop. Sometimes they call from the US which is weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here's all the number they called me from

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Started again...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Started again...
You can try out Mr Number and block out numbers starting with the area code/prefix that you're getting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrnumber.blocker
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I can block them using my phone. What concerns me is how did they get my number. Why are Telus customers affected?
So it's not just Telus/Koodo customers. I'm on Bell and I'm getting these calls. I found this forum by googling scam calls from Suriname. I also found this notice from the US FTC back in 2014 that sounds relevant to this. Apparently these guys randomly call numbers in North America, let your phone ring once, then if you call them back you get an outrageous phone charge.

So good news, they don't actually have your phone number, they're just randomly dialing and your number came up. Just, whatever you do, don't return a call to them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The thing is they keep random dialing my number multiple times a day, guess I'll just block all calls from them.

Would be nice from Koodo to do something about it.
Truly effective call blocking and voicemail prevention should be at the carrier level. It’s the carriers who have the technical capability to identify call origination sources and create services that prevent spam and blocked calls from going to voicemail (since they’re the ones that control the voicemail service). And all the carriers have some level of blocking on their networks to weed out the most obvious and egregious spammers. Yet, while the FCC has been working with carriers to develop more robust tools, options are still limited, and carriers have been very slow at implementing technology to make the robocall problem go away entirely.
Userlevel 5
Hi Robert. My recent Eastlink bill says that in December something called Universal Network-level Call Blocking (UNCB) will be implemented. I checked the CRTC web site and as of the 19th of December 2019, all Telecom providers must implement a UNCB plan. Lengthy reading but the bottom line is that all Telecom providers made their submissions and the CRTC gave them a year from their ruling (19th of December 2018) to implement a plan. Your blatantly bogus appearing number should be eliminated. Eastlink states that they will not get all spammers. I expect that the spammers will probably come up with something new. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm