Koodo Community

Community

Calling add-on/Plan Feature - Unlimited calling to any mobile

Userlevel 7
A feature that could be an add-on or just an additional feature set for current plans (that do not have unlimited calling) should have the ability to call any mobile phone within Canada and not go against their anytime minutes. Most of the major cell phone carriers in the United States implemented this years ago. This would be nice for most people who pick up the phone and call family or friends on their cell phones (as long as their phones are not on the same account).

9 replies

Userlevel 7
How much would this add-on cost? It would seem that at some point the customer would be better off just getting an Unlimited plan. There's a $50 Unlimited Canada-wide Talk and Text plan still available in Self Serve.
Userlevel 7
Well see this feature could be added into the current plans (that are not unlimited minutes) instead of an add on for an additional $2-5/month, this would make the plans into something similar to a Fav 10, instead it would be Fav 26,000,000 (which is approximately the amount of cell phones alone in Canada).

The reason I suggest this over an Unlimited calling plan is because people may not want to fork out the extra money for a plan that may or may not lose features (plans in current form having less data). That's why I suggest something like a Unlimited to Any Mobile feature.
The system does not know if you're calling a landline or a mobile phone.
Userlevel 7
Well there is a 5 essentials feature still available (the last time I checked) for $10... Implementing this would almost eliminate the need for that and would drive prices up methinks. Besides, what Kane said is right: the system can't decipher where you're calling.
Jonathan I wrote:

Well there is a 5 essentials feature still available (the last time I checked) for $10... Impleme...

What, not where 😛.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Well there is a 5 essentials feature still available (the last time I checked) for $10... Impleme...

Eh, I got the message across.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

But if Bell could have an add-on years ago that would allow people to call all other cell phones on their network, why can't Koodo/Telus create something similar. Because if that feature allows the caller to call another cell phone on the same network there should be a way to make it able to call across to other service providers and not use anytime minutes.

What could be done is that they could simply change the 5 Essentials to a new add-on (same price) but allowing the person with this feature to call any mobile phone in Canada with no use towards their minutes.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Rogers and Telus also used to have this way back in the day, so you do have a point there, but that stuff is long gone. I don't see them bringing it back any time soon (and especially not for the same price as only calling 5 numbers) since most providers just give out unlimited calling anywhere to any # nowadays... At that time, that's also when unlimited minutes really didn't exist for consumers, 500MB was considered a lot of data, getting call display and voicemail included in your plan for no charge was a miracle or retention plan, the best phones didn't have dual or quad core processors faster than some home computers, fast locking GPS, millions of apps to download, or high res cameras and displays, and getting out of any 3 year contract (which was the norm) that wasn't Koodo was minimum $20/month * months remaining with a minimum of $100 even if there were only 3 days left in your contract and max $400 on voice only and additional $$ if you had data there too.
Userlevel 5
While its been pointed out that some companies, even Koodo I think, used to offer in network calling. Its a whole different ball game outside the network. Telus/Koodo can differentiate between numbers that are their customers, and numbers that aren't. But past that it doesn't really show what the other numbers belong to, Especially with porting. A number that used to be a home line can now be wireless and vice versa.