Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Buy now, port later?

To take advantage of your current promo rates, can I get a phone now with an assigned number, and then port my current number over at the end of the month when my current contract is up? I realize there may be a fee to swap the assigned number to my ported number, what would that be if there is one?

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Yup that's the same process I did 🙂. There is no fee for a number change if you do it yourself in self serve (and yes you can port on there as well).
Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation, Jorden!
Userlevel 5
Paul McDonald wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation, Jorden!

No problem! Welcome!
Userlevel 2
Hey Paul! Just make sure that your account is still active when porting your phone number to Koodo: http://koo.do/Oqrfk9. Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Vincent wrote:

Hey Paul! Just make sure that your account is still active when porting your phone number to K...

Good point!
Vincent wrote:

Hey Paul! Just make sure that your account is still active when porting your phone number to K...

Absolutely -- thanks again everyone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I know this won't add any new information, but maybe it'll give you further piece of mind. I opened a new account in December and ported in my old number a few days later via self-serve. No issues, no fees.
I'm in the process now of trying to port my number. I says my number is eligible for change, but when I enter the MEID HEX (A0000etc..) I get a message that says "Failed Data Format Validation". I don't have an old pin entered in the fields; just the account # and MEID HEX. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
Userlevel 2
Paul McDonald wrote:

I'm in the process now of trying to port my number. I says my number is eligible for change, but ...

Call in.
Userlevel 7
Paul McDonald wrote:

I'm in the process now of trying to port my number. I says my number is eligible for change, but ...

try using the SIM card number
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul McDonald wrote:

The website doesn't like the imei in hex. Enter the decimal version or just the account number from the old provider. Only one of the 3 boxes is actually required. (Sim number won't work).
Paul McDonald wrote:

and we're good to go! thanks everyone
Paul McDonald wrote:

Chad - it says not to use sim card #, but regardless my old phone was a CDMA Blackberry, therefore no SIM.
Userlevel 7
For future reference, don't bother with your old phone's serial #, whether it's IMEI, ESN, MEID, etc. It will sometimes get rejected. Your old provider's account number is the most recommended way to ensure a successful port.
Although this is an old post, I had the same issue getting a data validation error message. Tried leaving the serial # blank and different browsers to no avail. I found that the issue was with the account number. My provider's account number included dashes (ie. 5-1001-0000) . When I removed the dashes, I was able to submit successfully
Userlevel 6
Just a heads up for people, if your IMEI has dashes in it (like most IMEI stickers on LG products), don't enter those dashes either.