Koodo Community

business vs personal use - second phone line services?

• 6 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello! I'm a Koodo mobile customer using my personal cell for business purposes and would like to have a "work number" that links to my personal phone, where I have better control of my work hours etc. (without giving out my actual cell number!) I've looked into VOIP and other related services but I seem to be coming up with more questions than answers. Has anyone else out there encountered this type of challenge and, if so, have you found a virtual phone service provider to fill your needs? Thank you, in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alternately, get a dual SIM phone (regular or e-SIM) and have two numbers attached to your phone.

Keep in mind each SIM will need a separate cell plan, which will probably cost more than 1 cell plan + 1 VoIP service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alternately, get a dual SIM phone (regular or e-SIM) and have two numbers attached to your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My choice is CallCentric.com. The main number I give out is a VoIP number. Calls and texts are forwarded to my cell transparently.

Call rules can be set up: for example, incoming from 8 am to 6 pm get forwarded, afterwards are redirected to Voip voicemail, which will send you an email with a wav file of the recorded message. Useful for screening important calls you don't want to miss.

Other advantage: you can also have an incoming 800-number or additional local numbers if you are in a location that straddles several area codes. No long distance charges for calls made anywhere in North America.

Costs around $10 US a month. Some other services may be free or charge less, but this one is really full-featured and has very broad Canadian coverage. With people relying more heavily on text, it's important to choose a service that can handle SMS as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you don't have to call other people or send/receive messages, a VoiP line should be fine (you can forward your fongo number to a Koodo number). However if you use it to make call, make sure you are going with a reliable carrier. Voip line quality is not consistent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So a voip service with a business number that will forward to your personal phone?
Fongo should be able to do that