Koodo Community

bringing phone number over

• 4 October 2020
  • 11 replies

I have clicked on the link to bring my current phone number from Bell to Koodo.  I will not receive the SIM card for a few days.  Will my services be interrupted because of this?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As soon as the port is complete your Bell service will be cancelled. To avoid any interruption in service, wait until the sim card arrives and make sure it is working with the temporary number before porting your old number to koodo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes,  Koodo will activate your plan a temporary number and ship it to you. Your Bell service should continue until you port it with your Koodo self serve https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-your-number-koodo

Userlevel 7

It makes sense to stop the port for now. I would call Bell first and try to stop the port (if you can) explaining that this request was premature and should only take place later on this week.

If you do that, I would also call koodo porting department tomorrow AM and share the same details with them.  

This way you will be able to keep using your Bell phone until your number is ported.

Userlevel 7

@Dinh Your timeline is off. @Timo Tuokkola got it right. Since @Neishie has already initiated the porting, its likely that, unless the porting is stopped, upon the initiation of porting by Bell  will result in the cancellation of the Bell account and lose of @Neishie ability to use the phone. Doing nothing will result in service interruption tomorrow. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh Your timeline is off. @Timo Tuokkola got it right. Since @Neishie has already initiated the porting, its likely that, unless the porting is stopped, upon the initiation of porting by Bell  will result in the cancellation of the Bell account and lose of @Neishie ability to use the phone. Doing nothing will result in service interruption tomorrow. 

Huh? From what I read, the OP was ordering a SIM/phone from Koodo. He/she haven't received the SIM yet. The porting has not started yet. 

You should try to order a postpaid SIM and you will see the process. 

Thanks guys!!! Too late, Bell cut off my service because I did not wait until I got my Koodo sim card to bring my phone number over (never did this before, kind of clueless, I was with bell for 15 years).  No phone now. Not until I recieve my Koodo SIM card via mail.  Thanks so much for your all your help.

As soon as the port is complete your Bell service will be cancelled. To avoid any interruption in service, wait until the sim card arrives and make sure it is working with the temporary number before porting your old number to koodo.

I wish I had of known, ive never changed providers before, aka BYOD and bring phone number. Now I have no cell service until Koodo sim card gets here. Thanks so much though.

Userlevel 7

@Neishie Sorry to hear that you were too late stopping the porting.

You still need to make sure that Bell will preserve your number to be ported later on this week. Normally, you are asked to keep your ‘old’ account active with your phone number on the ‘old’ provider’s network, to be able to port it to the new provider. Cancelling your Bell account is associated with its removal from the Bell network (available to be provided to another customer in the future). Talk to Bell, explain your situation vis a vis porting. Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You still need to make sure that Bell will preserve your number to be ported later on this week. Normally, you are asked to keep your ‘old’ account active with your phone number on the ‘old’ provider’s network, to be able to port it to the new provider. Cancelling your Bell account is associated with its removal from the Bell network (available to be provided to another customer in the future). Talk to Bell, explain your situation vis a vis porting. Good luck!

You're confusing the issue. If the line has been cancelled by Bell because the port is complete, that's the FINAL step, AFTER the number has been moved to koodo. There would by definition be nothing left to do 'later this week'.

There is a 40 dollar restoration fee to.get back my bell.  However, when I go into my koodo acct it has my current cell phone number that I received when with bell. So now it is.just a.waiting game for koodo.sim

You're confusing the issue. If the line has been cancelled by Bell because the port is complete, that's the FINAL step, AFTER the number has been moved to koodo. There would by definition be nothing left to do 'later this week'.

Yes the final process has been.completed... I got my current number (I always.had) on my koodo profile now.  So the import is a done.deal.  Just have to wait for my koodo SIM.card