Koodo Community
Solved

Blocking callers

• 24 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I have had a recycled phone number for almost 3 years now. The previous owner of this number has collection agencies calling. Every time they call I block the number, but these collection agencies just call via robots from new numbers. Also, on the blocked numbers they can still leave voicemails. How can I get this to stop? If I get a new number is there a way to get one that hasn’t been used yet?

icon

Best answer by Sophia 24 February 2021, 16:15

Sally, that probably won't solve your problem. i have had my number for about ten years, it was brand new at the time and I still get such calls about twice a day.

If you are on postpaid, you can enable call control which will at least get rid of the robot callers!

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sally, that probably won't solve your problem. i have had my number for about ten years, it was brand new at the time and I still get such calls about twice a day.

If you are on postpaid, you can enable call control which will at least get rid of the robot callers!

Thank you Sophia. What is postpaid?

Badge +4

Speaking directly with collection agencies and informing them that they have the wrong number is one possible option. This way you have it on record that you have contacted them. If calls persist, submit a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario. 

https://www.ontario.ca/page/stop-collection-agency-calls#section-7 

If, when you call these numbers, you get dead air or a pre-recorded message that says the number is out of service, then you’re likely dealing with robocall scammers. Sophia’s suggestion of getting call control is the better option.

Postpaid is where you receive a monthly bill. Prepaid is pay-as-you-go with no monthly bill. Call control is not available to prepaid customers at this time.

Userlevel 6

There is a Law against Collection Agencies calling people who are not the ones that owe the money.  

Collection and Debt Settlement Services Act

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 74

(5) No collection agency or collector shall,

(a) collect or attempt to collect a debt from a person who the collection agency or collector knows or reasonably ought to know is not liable for the debt; or

(b) contact or attempt to contact a person for the purpose of collecting a debt if the person has informed the collection agency or collector that the person is not who the collection agency or collector intends to contact, unless the collection agency or collector first takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the person is, in fact, who the collection agency or collector intends to contact.  O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.

You can contact the Ministry of Consumer Affairs as below. Have the name of the Collection Agency, the number of times and time and dates you have told them you are not who they want, any phone number or text message info. I had one bugging me and these guys put a stop to it real quick.

Phone numbers

Userlevel 6

Sorry Rikkster , you were quicker than I searching and copying the info, but we are on the same page