Koodo Community

Community

BlackBerry Z10 On Ubuntu (File Management)

Userlevel 7

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Great explanation & formatting of your post Chad. +1 to that man.
Userlevel 7
I neglected to mention that once you've entered your credentials you need to click connect.
I did this once and then it never worked again. Usually returning the following. Error: Failed to retrieve share list from server Please select another viewer and try again. Nothing I have been able to do has fixed this. Ran the procedure from scratch all with no luck. I was wondering if you had some advice?
Userlevel 7
Peggy Colebank wrote:

I did this once and then it never worked again. Usually returning the following. Error: Faile...

What version of Ubuntu? And you're running Gnome right? Though it shouldn't matter. Nautilus too right? BlackBerry 10.1?
Userlevel 7
Peggy Colebank wrote:

I did this once and then it never worked again. Usually returning the following. Error: Faile...

And you're sure you set the auto connect option to connect windows
Peggy Colebank wrote:

Thanks for replying Chad. I set the Auto connect option to connect windows. The version of Gnome is 2.30.2 and the version of Ubuntu I have is 10.04, so I need to upgrade. I will do that first before I waste any more of your time. The BBZ10 connected before I upgraded to BB 10.1 but hasn't worked since I installed 10.1.
Userlevel 7
Peggy Colebank wrote:

Ok I used 12.xx and BlackBerry 10.0 for this.
Peggy Colebank wrote:

Upgraded and still no joy. I never get past the Connect to Server dialogue without the error.
Userlevel 7
Peggy Colebank wrote:

Unfortunately my ubuntu laptop is at home and I alas am not. I'll try again this weekend. If i have the same issue I'll let you know. Did you Google the error?
Userlevel 7
Peggy Colebank wrote:

The following link is for Linux Mint DE (debian edition). Ubuntu is based on Debian anyway so the checklist may work. Try it. http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=93113
Userlevel 2
Just seeing this thread. Nice little networking job going on here. Well done 🙂 I'm using windows myself with the latest BB Link & OS 10.1.0.2342. For those of you who don't know, this type of functionality now comes stock via Remote File Access and BB Link. You can access your Z10 from your computer over the same wifi network, and access your computer via file manager as well. The killer though, is that via file manager you can access your computer over your mobile network, or from a different wifi connection. So you can be in Nigeria and access anything on your computer as long as you have some form of data connection (network or wifi).
Userlevel 7
mattjs wrote:

Just seeing this thread. Nice little networking job going on here. Well done 🙂 I'm using wi...

I don't think you'll have too many interested Linux users jumping to Windows unless they have too. Most of us have had enough. BlackBerry 10 left us in the dark however of you don't have / use SD cards. So we needed a workaround. TBH I've since purchased a SD card and use mass storage and on device file management.
Userlevel 1
mattjs wrote:

Just seeing this thread. Nice little networking job going on here. Well done 🙂 I'm using wi...

If you're born Linux person you stay Linux user, you won't see many windows users jumping to Linux neither, it's never Linux VS Windows because non of the two are interested in changing OS he likes more
Userlevel 7
mattjs wrote:

You get introduced to Ubuntu (linux) and you say god this is so much easier than Windows and wow iT doesn't crash or lock up files when I'm trying to back the computer up. Oh and look all the software is pretty much free and wow so is the tech support. Oooooohhh I can use SUDO like a boss. The heck with windows wait till I tell my family about this. We use virtual box to house one windows installation but we haven't used it in two years, because we don't need to.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Good points guys. Glad to see this kind of access for Linux users, I think us Windows users take it for granted the 'ease of access' to things we have sometimes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mattjs wrote:

I've switched between Windows and Linux more times than I can count. Currently a happy W8 user. My 4-year old PC is running just as well on W8 (if not better) as it did on Ubuntu that I don't want to go back right now as I get the same stability without the need to find workarounds for stuff like Netflix, iTunes, BlueStacks, etc.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

love bluestacks, i use it for ripping android apks so I can convert and sign them for BB10, great little utility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
mattjs wrote:

Have you also tried: http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/ http://bb10bars.net/ http://apk2bar.unker.net/ This approach isn't 100% successful but it was an easy way to get most essential apps to run on my BB10 when I had it. I think that the 1st link is how I managed to get Netflix working.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

I'm aware of them, but don't use them personally. I have BB dev signing keys so I do the conversion and signing process myself, but those sites are great for users less technically inclined. or lazy lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Excellent post. For those still experiencing issues, there's always Windows via https://www.virtualbox.org/
Userlevel 7
Just to follow up Peggy, I deleted my bookmarks and started everything from Scratch BBOS 10.1 Ubuntu 13.04 on Gateway LT27 Netbook Gnome Nautilus Worked Fine, Check your network settings and firewall I think. Exernal (SD) Storage:

Userlevel 7
Update: works fine on the Q10 as well. I have noticed that saving the bookmarks may be pointless because as devices move in and out of my wifi the BlackBerry 10 devices will be assigned new ip addresses on the network. If I get ahold of a Q5 or Z30 I'll try it out but I imagine it works on any BlackBerry 10 device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Update: works fine on the Q10 as well. I have noticed that saving the bookmarks may be pointless ...

You should definitely think about making this into a blog post.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Update: works fine on the Q10 as well. I have noticed that saving the bookmarks may be pointless ...

Thanks, I will but if you search Z10 ubuntu on Google this post is first.
Hey Struggling with this topic right now. I do everything exactly as explained. I enter smb://mydevicesname, switch to windows (then the dialogue box expands to include a bunch of other fields which I leave blank) then click connect. Then I get an error that says "failed to retrieve share list from server". Incidentally, I have "Wired Network (Research in Motion RIM Network Device)" above Wired Network 2 under my wifi network drop down when my phone is plugged in. BBz10 Dell Inspiron 6000 Ubuntu 12.04 Help please. Jack