Koodo Community

Community

Solved

are analog phones going to stop working in 2014

i went to the store with my phone and he told me it was an analog phone that was going to stop working in 2014 is that true

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, I am afraid so, Dennis, the old analogue network is finally going to be retired. You can get a nice new phone though for as little as $99 (smartphone) or even less if all you need is calling... it might be time for you to upgrade by next year 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Yes, I am afraid so, Dennis, the old analogue network is finally going to be retired. You can get...

You can find some details here: http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/telus-aims-to-shut-down-its-cdma-network-in-2015/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Yes, I am afraid so, Dennis, the old analogue network is finally going to be retired. You can get...

Edit: though I believe it won't be until 2015, not 2014.
Oops you beat me to it, Dennis - the [i]other Dennis, gah, this could get confusing quickly 🙂
Userlevel 2
The phone will still work, it just wouldn't have service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

How much are analog phones still good for without phone service?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

I'm curious, can you still call 911 with it?
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

Yes, all cell phones can.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Thank you 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

I'm puzzled though... if there is no analogue network after 2015, the phone won't have anything to connect to to make the 911 call though, would it? (assuming Mayumi was asking about the future...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Yes, I meant after 2015. You can make the 911 call without service provider now, so I guess it doesn't matter from an analog phone or regular phone?
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

Think of it like this. CDMA phones aren't connected to a network when it's not on an account. It can still call 911. I suspect the same be applied to the above situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Ok not being stubborn BUT currently the CMDA network is still in place... however it won't be from 2015 onwards (or so I assume). Now... how can an analogue phone connect to anything if there is no analogue receiver to receive it? 

Or am I completely dense? (happens all the time, hee hee) Please explain 😃
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Emergency Services still operate on an Analog signal(analog as a public service is pretty much gone). So even if Telus does remove the CDMA network, it's basically only to remove it from public use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

Gotcha, thanks Myke. I [i]think I understand...