Koodo Community

Community

anyone on account should be allowed to buy a phone.

My wife went in to buy a phone and her number is under her name. but we have it set up so they both come on one bill. the stores will not let her even buy a phone out right, because i am the primary name i have to be present. we get one bill Phone#1- my name Phone#2- wifes name if im out of town working why can she not go get a new phone with out me having to take time off??? makes no sense to me and i just cant wrap my head around rules that make no sense.

44 replies

Userlevel 6
What store were you at? As long as you have given authorization to your wife she can buy a phone.
She's at one in Edmonton, asked if I. Could call In and authorize and they said no I had to be present. maybe just a bad store rep then.
Userlevel 6
Diana Paddock wrote:

She's at one in Edmonton, asked if I. Could call In and authorize and they said no I had to be p...

If she is on the account an has ID plus knows the PIN they should let her buy a phone. It would be foolish if they didn't.
Userlevel 4
Diana Paddock wrote:

She's at one in Edmonton, asked if I. Could call In and authorize and they said no I had to be p...

The problem is that the account is not under the wife's name so her ID would be useless to verify. One would think that if her name is on it, the PIN should be fine. That's how it is over the phone. We are still able to provide help to anyone who can verify the account. I can understand on a financial level and credit history since, in the past, the wife or husband, partners, brother or sister, etc, have fraudulently done things on an account not in their name. Buying a high end phone and changing the plan then using the phone for much more than the plan allows...then they disappear. the account holder is stuck with the charges which I'm sure can be adjusted after investigation or something. More or less, it is a security risk. I'm sure something can be done to allow this. I'll +1 it.
Diana Paddock wrote:

store reps cannot not verify the pin we don't know it. If the subscriber name is your wife's and she is also an authorized user (call center term) or account administrator (kiosk term) then she should have no problem upgrading her line. Although when I worked at the call center I did see this problem before where some store reps don't know that they are allowed to do this.
Diana Paddock wrote:

an account admin can only make upgrades to their own line. can not add new lines to the account or cancel any line.
Userlevel 2
Diana Paddock wrote:

Uh, Vanessa, Account Owners CAN add new lines to an account or cancel any line....
Diana Paddock wrote:

Accounts owners yes not account administrators or (authorized users) lol of course the owner of the account can do as they wish.
Userlevel 7
I would probably give the account holder a call and get authorization over the phone but that's it. I don't want to lose sales because of something like that.
Jonathan I wrote:

I would probably give the account holder a call and get authorization over the phone but that's i...

That would not be legal. He could dispute that transaction as you can cannot know for sure that it is her husband talking to you.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

I would probably give the account holder a call and get authorization over the phone but that's i...

There would be ways to verify the account holder is on the line. So, no, it would not be illegal.
Jonathan I wrote:

yes it is because a store rep cannot see the pin on the account. sure he could ask the address but anyone could get that info and we don't see the lic or sin numbers either on the account . Also the service terms would still have his name on it that she would sign. if she is a subscriber and auth user on the account the service terms would print out with her name on it. The only legal way to verify at a store is to have photo ID which is why she has to be on the account and be and authorized user
Userlevel 5
My understanding of it is that technically the only one who can sign the agreement is the account holder. An authorized user can make changes to plan and stuff but isn't allowed to sign a new agreement. And if you think of it it makes sense, if someone else signed an agreement and you disputed it, the company would have to throw it out. And on the flip side, say you were having relationship problems, and the spouse decided to come in and add 3 lines to your account. Would you really want them to be able to do that? So its both for the customers protection as well as Koodo's.
Userlevel 3
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

My understanding of it is that technically the only one who can sign the agreement is the account...

If my wife and I are having an argument she could do a lot more damage than adding three lines to my account (or vice versa). I'd be fine having my wife authorized to make changes on my account but I wouldn't want just anyone under the account able to make changes - i.e. kids. Maybe there could be an authorized-to-make-changes list that would have the primary account holder on it by default?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm for an authorized user having the exact same privileges as the account holder save for line cancellation, limited to their line. It's up to us whether or not we trust the other person with this power. Remember, we have to authorize them first.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

I'm for an authorized user having the exact same privileges as the account holder save for line c...

It's already in place. Any koodo shop can authorize someone to be on the account and have the same privileges as the account holder. What the kood shop reps have told me that it actually show in their system who an authorized person. The very first time you'd have to show up together to validate the authorization but after that you can do whatever you want. So, it seems like koodo actually have the functionality, but some of their reps are unaware. Maybe a reminder email to the folks would be a good idea.
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

I'm for an authorized user having the exact same privileges as the account holder save for line c...

It has to do that only the account owner has the ability to redeem the tab/activate a new line/purchase a new phone because it requires their signature when done so. So more for security than anything. It has always been this way from day one. An authorized name does nothing. All adding a name does is give the name a line. Anyone who calls in and knows the PIN can make any changes, but only the account owner is authorized to do the big things.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

Hey guys, Koodo policies have changed and it now requires the account holder to be in store physically no matter if they previously set up an authorized user. This is done to reduce any risk of fraud. Unless, of course if you have a power of attorney, then you'll have to contact our customer service to get your name added on the account as a person who can make changes and pay bills + bring in a proof of the power of attorney when you come in to the store.
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

Changed? It's ALWAYS been like this. I really don't get where people think that being an authorized user to purchase a phone was okay.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

@ Myke if i'm not mistaken you work in the call centers. Maybe you have a different system than the folks at your shops. I just walked by one and they clearly showed me where one can be set up as an authorized user on the account. Once they do they can do essentially everything except cancel. So, you may not have all the info or maybe this is somethign that can only be done at shops because of the photo id requirements. In any case they said that they always had a function in their systems to set this up. I just saw it and it exists. 🙂 Not an urban legend.
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

We can add authorized uses, which again, simply changes the name of the line. What I said previously has not changed. Only the Account Owner can purchase a device. Someone who is pin verified, but not the acocunt only cannot do the following(this includes "authorized users") Activations Cancels Resume from cancels Transfers of ownership International calling adds Use the tab Sign up for a contract. This is listed in our help files. I have all the info. I've been with Koodo for 4 years. I follow the security policy VERY strictly. There has been ZERO change as to what an "authorized" person can do vs a pin verified user(in fact, they are the same).
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Okay while I agree with stuff like canceling or suspensions, plan changes/Tab redemptions should be allowed (like other carriers).
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

Plan changes can be done by pin verified users.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

Visit a koodo shop on this weekend Myke. 🙂 You will see it then with your own eyes the difference. They have something that you don't. Don't ask me why.
Userlevel 2
Ivan wrote:

No, they don't Chris. I know exactly what you are talking about. I am telling you there is NO DIFFERENCE between Authorized Users & Pin verified users. They are EXACTLY THE SAME. Authorized Users DO NOT have the same access that Account Owners do. The account owner will have their name listed FIRST on the account. Quite literally they get top billing. Any name that shows up underneath is simply the user of the phone.