Koodo Community
Solved

Any others notice lack of or poor mobile service in northern Manitoba, specifically Snow Lake?

Hi crowd, or more specifically a Koodo Rep,

I am using a Pixel 2 I purchased from Koodo about two years back. My phone works great at home in Saskatchewan and just as well when I spent time in northern Alberta. The hiccup is now that I am northern Manitoba when I ask co-workers if their mobile service is spotty, they ask who I’m with. I tell them Koodo/Telus and they say, “Well, that’s why.” Apparently it’s well known in this area that Telus has bad service here. I have missed a few calls because my phone may not even connect to the network at all so it won’t ring, and then I’ll see a voicemail notification show up on my phone once the reception strength icon with the X on it finally goes away.

From the coverage map for the specific area of Snow Lake, Manitoba where I’m at, I should be fine because the 4G/LTE blanket the town site and then some. Others with phones on carriers such as SaskTel and Bell have no problem being hooked to LTE all the time. 

The reason I think it may just be an authentication error of sorts with my phone on the tower is that I see my phone maybe 5 to 10 times a day actually connect to LTE for 5 seconds, then fall to H+ for 5 seconds, and often rest on 3G. I would guesstimate that during a day my phone is about 60/40, 3G to H+. I have had at most a few minutes of being on LTE where I was able to speed test myself at fast.com. The speed results were well in range of being on LTE, but I noticed quite a high latency of 400ms to 1.1s.

I don’t really want to move away from Koodo but it looks like I might have to. 

I have followed the Access Point Name guide to hopefully improve my situation, but it has not helped. I have reset my phone, pulled the SIM, it’s up to date (as best as can be, since it is off updates for being too old), reset the APN, and made sure LTE is the preferred network type. I’m fairly certain that it is not a me problem.

I wanted to upgrade to a Pixel 4a or 5 with Koodo, but it is seeming that I won’t be with Koodo for much longer than it takes for me to go into a Sasktel or Bell store once I get back into the cities in the south if the network is just plainly not good as I am here for work.

Any insights or validation of the lack of service in Snow Lake or surrounding communities would be great.

icon

Best answer by Dinh 9 June 2021, 09:35

There has been several similar topics of the issue in the forum. Basically, they asked users to move to VoLTE-capable phones. They mentioned that they sent multiple notice to customers in the area.

Your current phone (the Pixel2) wasn’t in their VoLTE list https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte, so that was the problem. Only calls were affected as your phone needs to switch to 3G (or H+) to make/receive calls).

What I would suggest is to get a VoLTE supported phone (if you want to stay with Koodo) or you could simply keep the phone and find a local carrier that works in your area.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There has been several similar topics of the issue in the forum. Basically, they asked users to move to VoLTE-capable phones. They mentioned that they sent multiple notice to customers in the area.

Your current phone (the Pixel2) wasn’t in their VoLTE list https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte, so that was the problem. Only calls were affected as your phone needs to switch to 3G (or H+) to make/receive calls).

What I would suggest is to get a VoLTE supported phone (if you want to stay with Koodo) or you could simply keep the phone and find a local carrier that works in your area.

You are 100% right Dinh. 

After a bit more reading, trying a friend’s sim card from another carrier, and lastly talking to a Koodo rep - everything you wrote to me in reply was right on the money.

I swapped sim cards with a friend. He has a Samsung A32 with bell mobility. With swapped sim cards, both phones worked properly. 

Pixel 2 is listed as working on VOLTE with bell: https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/VoLTE 

(for reference, Pixel 2 is also listed on Telus as able for VOLTE: https://www.telus.com/en/mb/support/article/how-to-use-volte?linktype=search_searchResult_volte&linkpos=4)

It just seemed funny to me that my phone wouldn’t work in the northern manitoba area I’m in with Koodo, but will with bell and is assumed to with telus. Turns out that’s just the way it is. Time to upgrade anyway since Pixel 2 was off updates a couple months ago. I just really didn’t want to buy a new phone thinking it would be the fix only to find out it wasn’t once I’m back in the Snow Lake area. I am now positive my new maybe Pixel 4a or 5 (undecided yet) will work problem free. I didn’t really want to move off of Koodo - glad I don’t have to. 

Everything should work out. If it doesn’t, I’ll update this post.

Thanks again Dinh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad that you found the cause of the problem. Koodo and Telus are from the same company but their level of support isn’t the same. VoLTE wasn’t enabled with Koodo devices until 2018 AFAIK. For some unknown reason, they just left out the Pixel 2.

re the new purchase, you could purchase the new device and test. As you have 15days of return/refund (30 days for online purchase), you could return the device if VoLTE doesn’t work on that particular device.