Koodo Community

Community

Add a simplified US roaming plan


Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Now, first of all, I have to freely admit that I have stol... er, taken this idea from T-Mobile US 🙂 Rather than offering a 3 or 30 day limited mobile bundle, offer a day-to-day unlimited roaming feature. For example: - Unlimited calls + text only: $5 per day - Unlimited calls + text + data: $10 per day (throttled at 200MB) It's quite a bit more expensive than the current roaming packages, but at least you'll never, ever run into unexpected cost. If the add-on is active, all you need to do is use the phone in the US to activate the day's fee. Visit for 3 days will cost you $30, or two weeks but no data $35... It would be the perfect roaming plan for me 😛 If you implement something like that, Koodo, I solemly promise I'll upgrade to a plan 😃

12 replies

Userlevel 6
I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility when I visit the States, but I know many people prefer to buy roaming plans with their regular providers. For those who do, is it because you can be reached with the same number? Or maybe you see no point having to carry an extra SIM? Or is there something I'm missing? Not ranting at all, I really want to know, because if there's a better way than using a local SIM, then I'd gladly explore my options again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

Haha Topper, questions are never ranting and always welcome 🙂 I guess for me the appeal would indeed be: not having to give out a second number, not having to worry about keeping two accounts alive or swapping SIM cards (in my case I have the luxury of having two phones, but still). But that is not all. Perhaps I should explain how the idea came about. Bear with me, it's a long one 😃 The past few days I was in Montana, and a few weeks ago I purchased a Roam Mobility SIM to use there. They strictly use T-Mobile. Then I found out that there is no T-Mobile at all in Montana... thankfully RM was kind enough to refund me. AT&T does not offer anything useful for 5 days, at least not within my desired budget and I certainly wasn't going to purchase a Verizon phone. So, I decided to get a T-Mobile SIM card since they have a roaming partnership with AT&T. It worked great, cost me $2 per day for unlimited calls, text and (very slow) Internet. For $3 you can get the faster 200MB and then it reverts to Edge speed. Until I found out that the service partner arrangement only extends to text and talk... so the second we left Idaho, my Internet data went away and stayed away. Still, it was nice being able to call all I wanted and not worry about racking up huge cost, that actually was worth it. There was one more major irritation: I was assigned some random number in some random town I picked... but apparently that number was well and truly recycled. I got several texts (not meant for me for sure), phone calls ("This is the vet's and I just wanted to know how your kitty is doing"), it drove me witless! So I got to thinking... what if Koodo actually offered true roaming, more expensive but a similar daily plan that T-Mobile offers? Of course it would cost more (hopefully within reason), but... I'd not have to give out any temporary number, internet is basically assured anywhere and my "favorite company" gets my money! 😃 So there you have it, my long-winded explanation 😃
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

Well I have to admit, the unwanted calls/sms stemming from the recycled numbers is a MAJOR point. Did not think about that. In my case, on the East coast, T-Mo's coverage ain't bad once you get past Vermont. Going to keep the Roam Mobility SIM for now since it serves me well (and prepaid doesn't have roaming anyway). Thanks for the explanations Sophia! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

I use t mobile all over the states. But Sophia why not ask for 3$ per day. Why bump it up just because we're Canadian we have to pay more?
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

Guys, isn't $10 for 3 days unlimited texting from Koodo a far better deal? Now, I wish they had an option where you could chose to renew at the end of the 3rd day so you wouldn't run up your bill but that's a different story.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

@Chad I tried to stay realistic... roaming is always more expensive anyway. I'm sure Koodo would have to pay a fee to those carriers as well as make it worthwhile to themselves 🙂 @Chris Even that could be implemented perhaps: $3 per day for unlimited texting and/or calling only 🙂 You'd be cheaper off that way 😛
Userlevel 7
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I like your idea Sophia! However, this has got me wondering. I personally use Roam Mobility whe...

True. (but I don't want to pay more :))
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia, could you clarify something for me, please? When you say "throttled", do you mean "capped". Throttled refers to intentionally slowing down the connection, in which case you'd be suggesting a max speed of 200 kbps (rather than MB), with no usage cap. Capped refers to a finite allowance of data transmission which is either automatically cut off or subject to overage charges once the initial allowance is used up. In any case, I'm all for daily packages. A network's roaming offer will never beat a local provider, but if I'm in the US for only a few days, then I'm more likely to roam with Koodo (if a reasonable package is offered). Not interested in any 30-day package as I'd definitely pick up a local SIM for such a long trip.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Sophia, could you clarify something for me, please? When you say "throttled", do you mean "cap...

I meant "throttled" 🙂 I guess better English would have been that data is throttled [i]after 200 MB, not "at", haha. This is how T-Mobile does it (and I love it): For $2 per day you get unlimited talk, text and data at 2G speed only. For $3 per day you get unlimited talk, text and 200MB data at 3G/4G speed. After you reach that, it slows down to unlimited 2G. I really like this system and would love Koodo to offer that for the US.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Sophia, could you clarify something for me, please? When you say "throttled", do you mean "cap...

Thanks for the clarification. Great idea. You already have a +1 from me 🙂
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

Sophia, could you clarify something for me, please? When you say "throttled", do you mean "cap...

Snow birds will love this! if Koodo agreed to your suggestion, Every winter period they prefer cancel their accounts and create new one on their return in April, Koodo, go for it..let it go with Sophia idea!
Wind had a 15 dollar unlimited everything roaming in the States.. It was something i really wish the big Canadian telcos could match... How could wind mobile make such a deal? Is Wind Mobile getting into more debt by offering this just to get more subscribers. Or is Wind just doing this at cost to get customers. Great Idea!

Reply