Koodo Community

account hacked

• 19 December 2020
  • 9 replies

I received an email that the email address on my account was changed, but I didn’t request this. I need to get this sorted out ASAP to make sure that no fraudulent activity occurs on my account. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you go to your Koodo account and try to log in without clicking on any links on the email? See if it did actually change?

I already tried that and I am unable to get in with my email address and password. 

Can you go to your Koodo account and try to log in without clicking on any links on the email? See if it did actually change?

I already did that before starting this message. I am unable to get in with my email address and password. 

Someone actually called me because someone was trying to make a number of changes to my account, all is well now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh good glad to hear. I was gonna say call but that works.

Userlevel 3

If you have access to a pc, pull up Firefox. In that have Firefox do a public web search for your email. It will tell you if your email has been hacked, or if your email is/was compromised due to a different site in which your email is registered has been hacked.

Userlevel 3

the same site will also give you the option of removing your mail address from public view. Mine was impacted on that hack into Bell on May17,,2017.

Once you regain control of your account, you should change your password. If you reused your password anywhere change it. Never use the same password, use a password manager.

Userlevel 3

Bell has contacted me AFTER I filed a complaint of their failure to update me or even offer free monitoring. They waanted any particulars of what my search revealed and this occurrence  was communicated to me. It was as if they had no clue about who was affected or how, and this is three years after the fact.

I’ll try to summarize briefly the steps I was instructed to do:

• change password nd add 2FA to it , even if I don’t plan to use it anymore
  • notify everyone that used that acct w/ you, tell them new account and not to trust anything sent further from it. Because even without actual access to the acct emails can be forged (there’s a reason why emails aren’t really admissable in courts as concrete evidence.
  • update all third party accounts (CRA,ISP,bank,cellphone,etc) to use new acct.
  • If truly paranoid get replacement credit cards, update all security quwstions are random strings, use a password manager, and wherever possible 2FA is enabled.

This was from my friends in security sector programming.