Koodo Community
Question

Accessing International Talk/Text Service

Can I use my Koodo phone for text/talk in the Dominican Republic? Before I left Canada to go to Cuba, I called Koodo and they said I could use my service in Cuba but after I got there, I discovered that I couldn't access the service (because Koodo is a US based company) so I had to pay extra charges to call home. I don't want to run into the same issue in DR.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo is a Canadian based company not US. Any phone serive you get will have extra charges when you leave the country. So your going to get extra charges nomatter where you go outside Canada. You can text from anywhere in Canada to abywhere in the world and as long as you have unlimited texting you wont pay extra but thats only when your inside canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Sylvia. Have you added the International voice roaming add-on??
Sorry, I should have explained better....I could not connect to any mobile service in Cuba so I couldn't use my phone at all for talk or text. The Cubans said that Koodo was a US company and that was why I couldn't connect. Other Canadians had no problem using their phones to talk and text but they were all with different service providers. The extra charges I was referring to were from using the land line phone on the resort, which was way more costly than if I would have been using my Koodo service and paying 65 cents per text message. My question: will I be able to use my Koodo service in Dominican Republic or should I expect the same issues?
Userlevel 6
Sorry, I should have explained better....I could not connect to any mobile service in Cuba so I c...If you have called Koodo to add the International Dialing Add-on ($2 per month) and the International Voice Roaming Add-on (free but your payment/credit history determines if you elligible) the service should work just about everywhere in the world. If it doesn't there might be an issue with the service in the area.
Userlevel 2
Sorry, I should have explained better....I could not connect to any mobile service in Cuba so I c...Actually, there's been some bakc and forth about service with regards to Cuba. Now this was months ago, but there was talk about Cuba not having an agreement with Koodo and so you couldn't call Cuba from Canada or use the service while in Canada. I am unsure if that still stands however.
Userlevel 6
Sorry, I should have explained better....I could not connect to any mobile service in Cuba so I c...Yeah, in my experience Cuba is really hard to work with, I didn't know that they weren't allowing any service at any point though.
Userlevel 2
Sorry, I should have explained better....I could not connect to any mobile service in Cuba so I c...This was back when Koodo still had CDMA phones primarily. I should send off an email and see if there's been any change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You need to activate addons when traveling, here is what you need to know http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/Travelling Just to add, its usually cheaper if you travel to get your phone unlocked from koodo or a 3rd party online service such as cellunlocker.net or gsmliberty.com and then pop in a local prepaid Sim card from a service provider located at the place your travelling to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You need to activate addons when traveling, here is what you need to know http://help.koodomob...The link Paul has also includes at the bottom, the ability to select your country and determine which carrier is partnered with Koodo and the services they provide (ie. talk, text, data, etc), as well as which zone rates apply
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Syliva, I've encoutered the same problem too. But in D. Republic I was good to go and I've changed nothing. Also, don't take as granted what other people say because they don't even know what Koodo is. They just know that US carriers don't work, therefore if you're phone doesn't work, then you're an US carrier. (OMG philosophy)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also if you have a prepaid service from Koodo it wont work outside Canada, only postpaid service works outside Canada
Great information Folks! Thank you, you've been a great help. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Cellular service in the Dominican Republic is less expensive than in Canada but not if you use your Koodo service. Many of the local carriers offer a prepaid tourist phone (or SIM card for use your own unlocked phone) and will give you a couple hours of international long distance on these to call home at a lot less than Koodo overseas roaming would cost but you end up with a 809/829/849 area code and don’t know the number until you get there and obtain the phone or SIM card). You will need to show your passport and manage basic Spanish (or have a translator's help) to sign up. If you don't care about the high roaming rates I can confirm that Koodo's phones work just fine in the D.R. (good coverage) if you have the appropriate international add-ons as I have been there many times.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What phone do you have? Does it take a SIM card? If not then it's a an older CDMA device which could be another reason why it wouldn't work in Cuba as there is no CDMA network there. And speaking of Cuba, I just wanted to mention that roaming is the only way to get service there as foreigners are not allowed to purchase local SIM cards (since this was suggested for the Dominican, where getting a local card is a possibility).