Koodo Community

Community

A way to report Threads clearly created to game the Badgeville system!

Userlevel 6
It's getting severely out of hand & something NEEDS to be done about it ASAP!

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A big +1 from me, John!!
Userlevel 1
Can you guys elaborate? With some examples? I'm not sure if I see what you see.
Userlevel 1
Actually, I think I know now.....you mean peopl asking questions about points badges etc. They are noobs and we all know they need a lot of luck to win just on that.
Userlevel 7
RoryC wrote:

Actually, I think I know now.....you mean peopl asking questions about points badges etc. They ar...

Userlevel 7
I definitely agree. Until something comes up, I think we should all post threads that we may consider spamming here (for obvious point gaining purposes) and then Koodo can evaluate it for themselves and take any proper actions
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

I definitely agree. Until something comes up, I think we should all post threads that we may cons...

Yeah, but we ought to be careful as this thread itself then could be considered spam. I see the "offender" (Sharon Angela Zuck Dignard) but I think the first course of action is to remind here there is no point spamming the community as it will not be to her benefit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

I definitely agree. Until something comes up, I think we should all post threads that we may cons...

I have never, ever seen "spam" from John Burke 🙂 However I did see spam today, and not only from the person you mentioned. Personally I'd be reluctant to openly point at people, that is why I like his idea so much of a quiet "report" button... most forums have something like that.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

This thread was not made for obvious point gaining. You clearly haven't been around enough and this issue has been on going since day 1. All day, everyday. It's not just Sharon, there are literally dozens and dozens. And they won't stop until something is done. That is all I have to say, this isn't a debate and we aren't trying to start one. The issue is here and we just want something done.
Userlevel 1
Ahmad wrote:

This is an open forum, which is what I like. I have no problem pointing fingers. Works better than the quiet "report".:-)
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

I encourage you to do so then. I honestly do. It helps more when community members are voicing their "concerns"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
May I suggest a report button? Much more easy than reporting individual threads 1 by 1
Robert wrote:

May I suggest a report button? Much more easy than reporting individual threads 1 by 1

Hey Robert, I'm happy to share that a report functionality is coming March 28th. In the meantime, feel free to share the offending posts here. If the posts are indeed spam, we will remove them as well as the accompanying points. If someone continues after repeated warnings, they will be banned and removed from the contest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This all stems from Koodo posting the contest for the Galaxy S3 on Facebook, and also happens when they post about mobile masters (just not as severe). Koodo should stop posting this stuff on Facebook and only post it on the community. If you come here on your own accord then you should have the opportunity and this would eliminate this issue. The forum runs smooth and gets a good groove going it feels and then they post something about free stuff for participating in the forum and all hell breaks lose. Stop posting these things on Facebook and the forum will run smooth and will get the odd noob coming and they slowly begin to fit into the mix, it works great that way from what I've seen.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

This all stems from Koodo posting the contest for the Galaxy S3 on Facebook, and also happens whe...

Thanks for your patience Kid as we try new things to improve the Community. Not all of them will be homeruns like the Mobile Masters program, but we're hopeful a few will stick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This all stems from Koodo posting the contest for the Galaxy S3 on Facebook, and also happens whe...

I just don't see why the forum needs more ppl drawn to it in a dramatic fashion. I think between the mobile Masters and the other regulars who are on it now there are more than enough ppl to keep it running smoothly. and answer any and all questions that are brought there. I think that the monthly Contest is an awesome idea and really should stay, just don't post the contest on Facebook. There are many ppl that are part of the forum and have been for a long time that deserve to win prizes already for helping out. Keep it so that once you win you can't win again and just slowly reward all the ppl who already are there and deserve it. It's not going to be fair to everyone who has been on the forum for months and months if someone wins that just came there this month that the prize began. Those who are proactive in finding the forum without being drawn to it from Facebook are going to be the best candidates to really contribute to the forum IMO. We see new ppl come here all the time even when not posting these contests and those have been the ppl who have stuck around and actually put meaningful effort into the forum. Just post the contest in the actual forum and reward those who have come here on their own accord. Just post on Facebook that there is a forum where ppl can help out by answering questions or ask questions if they have any and they are welcome to take part. Then when they actually take the time to do it because they want to help then and only them they will find out hey I can win prizes for contributing. I think that will meld the contest idea into the forum perfectly. issue solved
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Kid : I guess this is more a way to attract people to Koodo instead of the forum IMO. It's logic, if people go on the forum and see that Koodo is such a good company and helping out, etc. the immediat effect of this is : they will be interested by Koodo's plan, etc. I know it's a contest thing and that it attracts a lot of people on the forums, but the main goal of this is so people talk about the contest to friends and like this Koodo gets more people and price go down, then more people, then price go down and Koodo will be a more fierce competitor. Personally, I hate spammers, but I know, once the contest is over, that they will not be here anymore. So let's just wait for the report button to come.

I see your frustration. And dramatic's tend to take people over the edge. Yes . , i want to win a contest, but i also see the advantage. Social networking is fun, the technology can be frustrating, keeping current is work , both time and money invested, keep positive. Reap rewards as u see them. You where here before the contest and you will be here after, so if u dont win it doesnt really matter because it wasnt what u where trying to do. I am new , i want to win, but if i don't i am still gonna be here, I like this community, and ya I like the badges too. 🙂
Any kind of contest like this is going to bring all kinds of people in. Remove the points system and it would help solve it by not rewarding points for nothing. Make a signup to enter, or something that doesn't reward crazy spam to gain points for a better chance to win. Having a report system that allows a vote of 3 or more (or something like that) to delete a post and nullify it's rewards, or even give a negative score. 🙂 New badge - Spam Master Badge (-1000 points) + immediate ejection from community. Earned via gaining 5 reported posts in a month. Although 3 is fair too... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Iglooman wrote:

Any kind of contest like this is going to bring all kinds of people in. Remove the points system...

That wouldn't work as everyone would just come in and start getting everyone else's posts deleted. The way it's moderated right now works great for the most part, it's just these Noobs who think they are smarter than the game thinking I'll just get a ton of points asking as many questions as I can not realizing that the forum is moderated and someone sees everything they are doing. It's just the barrage of Noobs that is the issue. There's just too many ppl to try to help by leading them in the right direction of how things go here and work them into the flow of the forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Iglooman wrote:

Any kind of contest like this is going to bring all kinds of people in. Remove the points system...

NOPE, because only people with 100+ posts will be able to use the report button. What do you think?
Userlevel 2
Iglooman wrote:

IMO most of the issues along these lines would be cleared up by getting rid of the points/badges system that's in place. I get that Koodo is really pushing this "community/participation" thing, but a thriving online community is something that needs to develop organically for it to be successful. If you lure people in with prizes, (meaningless) badges and points, then you get people posting and being (meaninglessly) active solely for those purposes. The quality of posts of this board has gone downhill remarkably in the last little while imo. Personally, I'd like to see just a regular message board, with a few moderators to keep things on track. Everything "extra" just does more harm then good. I'd really like Koodo to ditch "Get Satisfaction" and create a forum themselves, at least then they wouldn't have to liaison with a third party when changes and modifications are required. An example imo of a decent forum is the Rogers Community, its basic, professional, and gets the job done, without all the gimmicks that we see here.
Userlevel 7
Iglooman wrote:

Patience, Robert. That is all I have to say 🙂
Iglooman wrote:

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions. We have a wonderful community filled with members that truly care about helping one another. We are very grateful and fortunate to say the least. To give you all a little background, the intention of the Giveaway was two-fold: 1) Encourage members to help one another 2) Drive adoption of the Community among our customers So far we've seen the following results: 1) A bunch of new super users have driven more quality answers than ever. At the same time, we've also seen more low quality answers than ever from folks simply looking to win the phone. 2) A tiny fraction of our customers are aware of this wonderful community and this Giveaway helped greatly drive awareness among our Facebook fans in particular. While attracting many new members is great, there are some drawbacks to doing so in a short period of time. Needless to say, with the good has come the bad. We will not be holding a contest in April so that we can assess the long-term impact before considering another Giveaway. We are optimistic that our fantastic altruistic members will remain while those only aiming for a new phone will move on, but only time will tell. Perhaps a Giveaway tied to registration and not points, as Iglooman suggested, will see all the same benefits we've enjoyed without any of the drawbacks. In the end, this was just a trial and we greatly appreciate your patience and suggestions along the way. We love to hear your raw and honest feedback, so please don't hold back. Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Iglooman wrote:

What you've got here is pretty special, Nathan, and I'm not saying that lightly 🙂 Progress only comes to daring people, so I'm glad you tried this experiment and learned from it 😃
Iglooman wrote:

@Kid Actually I've used the 3+ system for decision making in a guild I ran, where in my absence as leader the offices would have to have 3 to agree on a course of action before implementing. It worked very well, because with at least three people making the decision, it balanced out any one person's biased. As the MM community grows, it should be easy to do something like that with reported threads using either MMs, or a certain level of user to report them. The penalty being if the report system is abused, a ban of the abuser. It would allow those with longer experience in the forum to help manage it and keep pressure off Koodo employees, while helping make sure that when one person has a problem with a user, that they don't have the power to simple delete or silence them alone. Whatever level of user helping maintain the forum would need to see a flag on posts reported by others with forum maintenance privileges so they'd know to check it out and mark it if it is a trouble post. Sounds like Koodo has a system coming into place, so maybe these suggests are moot now, but that's the detail behind my reasoning above, and I've tested it and found it worked.