Koodo Community
Solved

A Call from +1 (866) 360-1448

• 20 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Received a call from +1 (866) 360-1448, requesting my PIN. Offered me double the data with no price increase. Is this a scam?

icon

Best answer by Lavinia Koodo 20 May 2021, 18:20

Hello @KaraRamoa! We can confirm that this number 1 (866) 360-1448 is sometimes used by our marketing and/or sales department to offer different promotions or additional services at special prices. 

Over the phone, a verification process is required, such as a PIN number (if valid) or few security questions related to the account.

I checked your account and I can see that the agent you spoke with already left a note; the changes discussed have been successfully completed and the call was 100% legit. 

Whenever you’re in doubt about something like this, make sure to contact us here or on Facebook or Twitter and we’ll happily assist you.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a number that has popped up before for Koodo/Telus sales. I wish they'd use fewer numbers or make a list widely available to confirm.

I'm flagging this tho for a Rep to confirm its all good. The last time this was asked was a few months ago I think and none commented

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Received a call from +1 (866) 360-1448, requesting my PIN. Offered me double the data with no price increase. Is this a scam?

It is a legit number, but I’m not sure if the offer you received was legit or not. Since we are not Koodo employees, we cannot confirm whether this is legit. You will need to wait for a Koodo rep to verify this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello @KaraRamoa! We can confirm that this number 1 (866) 360-1448 is sometimes used by our marketing and/or sales department to offer different promotions or additional services at special prices. 

Over the phone, a verification process is required, such as a PIN number (if valid) or few security questions related to the account.

I checked your account and I can see that the agent you spoke with already left a note; the changes discussed have been successfully completed and the call was 100% legit. 

Whenever you’re in doubt about something like this, make sure to contact us here or on Facebook or Twitter and we’ll happily assist you.

Userlevel 6

Surely in this day and age there is a better way to do business  than cold calling clients and asking for personal information that we are warned over and over never to give to telemarketers. How are clients suppose to know this is a legit call? Phone numbers are spoofed all the time.

Sorry for the rant, but this is pet peeve of mine as a friend of mine was ripped off (not from Koodo) by a similar tactic from a scammer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I couldn’t agree more, Lou! I personally would NEVER engage in such an offer, let alone giving my PIN # over the phone to someone calling ME out of the blue. I understand and appreciate that Koodo would like to contact customers with special offers, but they should definitely use another method than calling.

This month alone we received numerous scam calls that we are under criminal investigation, that our credit card got hacked and that we are entitled to special COVID relieve funds. Who is to say these days which of those is genuine?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We definitely understand where you’re coming from. We appreciate the time that you took to provide your feedback to us today and we will definitely forward your concerns to the right team.

Userlevel 6

I couldn’t agree more, Lou! I personally would NEVER engage in such an offer, let alone giving my PIN # over the phone to someone calling ME out of the blue. I understand and appreciate that Koodo would like to contact customers with special offers, but they should definitely use another method than calling.

This month alone we received numerous scam calls that we are under criminal investigation, that our credit card got hacked and that we are entitled to special COVID relieve funds. Who is to say these days which of those is genuine?

Don’t forget the CRA calls - we get those ones regularly! But seriously it is a huge problem.

I got a phone call from this number too. As it did not appear as koodo when receiving the call, it was a number that I did not know and because of the 10 second silence in the beginning, I almost blocked the number.