Koodo Community
Solved

3G Data Issue

• 8 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I can't connect to the Koodo data network when I'm connected to 3G. It only works if I'm connected to LTE.
This makes no sense to me. I scheduled a callback for tech support, but thought I might as well ask on here just in case anyone else has experienced this.

I've already tried resetting network settings a million times, already tried replacing my sim multiple times, and now this is an issue not only on my old iPhone 6S, but also on a brand new iPhone XS Max.

This has to be some kind of problem from Koodo's back end that erroneously is limiting my account on 3G right?

Would appreciate any feedback from someone who's experienced something similar.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Dinh 8 January 2019, 01:26

I don't think 3G data didn't work. It is properly because your phone was switched from LTE to 3G when calling, and the data connection was reset. It happened when you didn't activate VoLTE on iphone.

I would check if you have VoLTE add-on in your self service account. If you didn't, you can try to activate Vo Wifi on the iphone. Normally, that add-on would be added automatically when you activate VoWiFi.

If you had the VoLTE add-on, you can go to Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular data options >> Enable LTE >> Choose Voice & Data.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There might not be 3G coverage in that area.
I'm getting full bars of 3G, weak LTE signal, and therefore phone automatically switches to 3G.
But data all of a sudden stops working, when it was working a second ago when I had 1 bar of LTE.
It makes no sense as to why this would be happening.
K, so I tried turning off LTE from settings, and forcing it to go on 3G instead of automatically being forced to go on 3G because of poor LTE signal.
This seems to have solved the issue for now. Data is now working on 3G.

This is so confusing as data was not working just moments ago when the phone was forced to go to 3G because of poor LTE signal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't think 3G data didn't work. It is properly because your phone was switched from LTE to 3G when calling, and the data connection was reset. It happened when you didn't activate VoLTE on iphone.

I would check if you have VoLTE add-on in your self service account. If you didn't, you can try to activate Vo Wifi on the iphone. Normally, that add-on would be added automatically when you activate VoWiFi.

If you had the VoLTE add-on, you can go to Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular data options >> Enable LTE >> Choose Voice & Data.
To give a little more detail as to what happened..

I was in my lobby, with LTE and data working. Went down underground level, lost signal.
Came back up to lobby, and phone regained signal, but with 3G and not LTE, and data was no longer working.
Walked outside for an errand and came back into lobby, phone still showing 3G and still no data working.
(That was for at least 15 solid minutes or so).
Tried rebooting phone, resetting network settings, tried turning airport mode on/off. Each time it would connect back to 3G and not LTE, and no data connection.
I received a call during this time with no issues however.
The moment the phone connected back to LTE, data instantly started working again.

I don't believe I have VoLTE as an add-on on my account. Unless it's automatically added for everyone, I definitely never added that. On my phone, however, I did have the LTE setting to both Voice & Data.
Do you think the problem was that I had the setting to Voice & Data while not having VoLTE on my account?

Edit: Just checked my account to make sure, and indeed it is showing 'Koodo VoLTE Access' as an add-on. I definitely did not intentionally add that myself, and don't remember seeing that in the past, so this must have been automatically added onto my account at some point. This confuses me even further as to why there would have been an issue when my phone setting was set to Voice & Data for LTE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did it happen recently or it was like that all the way?. I recalled one case that had issue with connection when he/she updated the phone to ios 12.1.2. He/She got the suggestion from Apple to reinstall the ios with iTune (it reinstalled another version of 12.1.2) and it solved the problem (no connection in that case). If you just recently updated (over the air), I would suggest you try that.

Also, Try to reset the network settings. Go to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset network settings.

If you enabled VoLTE, when you made call, was the signal switched from LTE to 3G?
On my previous phone it happened more often, but on this one it was a one off. The more I think about it, I think it was a big where something about my connection to the tower was stuck in some weird way.

Because I've always had VoLTE on in my phone settings, and in my account it shows that I have it as well.

At least the problem hasn't shown up since then, so I'm going to chalk it up to a fluke weirdness for now, and update this if it comes up again.