Youmail possible?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Youmail? Help! Is youmail possible on Koodo? I have a Galaxy S2. I read somewhere you need call forwarding to make it work so I set it up on the self serve options. Still can't make it work. I do the forward to youmail and get the test call but later it says "youmail test call failed". Called Koodo and they are clueless because it is a third party app. Any help is appreciated. Thanx, Dave
Photo of Dave Bishop

Dave Bishop

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 206,758 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
From what I've heard visual voice mail is not available on koodo.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

• 10,050 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It has nothing to do with koodo. All you do is forward the unanswered calls to their service instead of koodos.

Since koodo does have call forwarding it will work, if we can just get the damn call forwarding to work.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

I thought that since the app only shows certain US providers that work then it did depend on if you could get visual voice mail on your provider & that it was just a different app then the carriers.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

They have listings for the telus/koodo network. It really doesn't matter actually, because it works based on the call forwarding protocol. So as long as your carrier supports calls forwarding, it will work.

Anyway, I tried to forward calls from my cell to my home phone and got the same error. So maybe we should change this question to "Call forwarding not working" as to not get everybody in a tizzy over the 3rd party/service thing.
Photo of Dave Bishop

Dave Bishop

I agree. It should work! Hopefully we get a tech savvy person to help us out here. Perhaps Koodo will give the winning answer a $50 credit to their account? Haha! I am sure the answer will make lots of Koodo customers happy.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

I just think it's hilarious the moment I go to post something about it, and you do it at the same time. When did you add your call forwarding add on?

I just did mine not long ago, so I'm wondering if maybe the service isn't connected to my account yet.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

So the app has its own service that accepts the call and listens to it and turns it to text? I gotcha, my bad. Does it cost anything to use the app/get the # that your forwarding the phone to?
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

No, doesn't cost anything for the app and forwarding. I think they charge for another number and what not, but for the basic visual mail service it's free, which is why I really wouldn't mind getting this figured out :)
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

That's crazy, I was just going to post the same question.

Here are some more details.

What is failing for me is the *61*555-555-5555# part. I get the error I screen shot below.

According to the koodo website, this should work fine.

http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add...
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

So can somebody verify that the call forwarding feature *61* is working on their phone?

I think I might actually have to break down and call *611...
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

My finger is on the send button, I'll totally do it unless somebody cares to share information.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Alright Dave, I figured it out thanks to a very helpful tech at koodo. Can't remember his name (i'm terrible with names) But if your reading this guy, give yourself a pat on the back, you've done good by me.

So first open your dailer, then hit the menu key. It'll bring up an option to click on settings:

Then click on settings.. That'll bring up call settings. Scroll down until you find Call forwarding, and click on it

In there, just change all the numbers that point to the koodo voice mail service, and put in the Youmail number, minus the .*61* and # part.

And now everything should be good to go :) Tested and works on my end. Obviously, I can only confirm that this method works with Android, and specifically on android 4.1.2, but it should be pretty much the exact same with ICS 4.0.X

So yeah koodo members, head on over to youmail.com, and get yourself some free visual voice mail :-) (with the 3 dollar call forwarding addon from koodo) Cheers!
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

So the forwarding option is working correctly, however youmail isn't true free visual voice mail.

It doesn't transcribe the message for free, but does tell you what numbers left a message.

That and when a caller gets to the voicemail, they have to dial your number again to actually connect to the voicemail. I'm going to play around with it a bit more and see if I can get this working correctly.
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Alright, so on the whole you mail front... looks like to get it working properly you need to get a dedicated number, which costs either 9 bucks a year for standard, or 4.99 a month for the business edition.
Photo of Dave Bishop

Dave Bishop

Really!!? Oh that sucks big time!! Well it sounds like we are both after the same thing Aaron, so I guess if either of us comes up with a decent voicemail type app we can report back to this thread. Thanks for your efforts here! Dave
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

• 44,018 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your efforts and feedback Aaron :) Have a great day!
Photo of Aaron MacIntyre

Aaron MacIntyre

Hey Dave, I've messed around for a few days, and right now I figure the best bet to get full featured visual mail with transcription of voicemail to text, is to use google voice.

I've done up a little guide on how to go about getting a google voice number. It's a bit of screwing around to get the Google Voice account as it's only officially offered in the States, but by the end you'll have full featured Visual Voicemail. Plus you'll have a google voice account that lets you call anywhere in north america for free.

www.jughound.com/vv/
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 206,124 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome job on the write up Aaron, Kudos. Definitely worthy of a star :-)
Photo of Dave Bishop

Dave Bishop

Hey thanks alot Aaron. I will sit down and give this a shot. Appreciate your efforts. Dave Bishop
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hope I'm not too late. Just saw this one while I was looking at porting options.

Be careful when you call-forward a Koodo number - you will be looking at some VERY heavy long distance charges. EVEN if you have unlimited LD and EVEN if you are call-forwarding within Canada. LD charges apply to all call-forwarded messages outside your local calling area. They can crop up even inside the same area code if they are not considered to be within the "local" calling area.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.