Will the Essential PH-1 receive VoLTE and WiFi calling capabilities?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

• 406 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,584 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Nobody will know until it happens unfortunately.... Is the phone capable of these features even, I haven't seen any mention of these when researching the phone before I purchased it.
If it has the capability I would expect down the line it may but it probably wouldn't be high on the list of phones to get activated with this on Koodo's end I'm sure.
(Edited)
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

Ok, thanks for the reply Paul. I did a bit of digging and I guess it's something they have in the works. Stability updates have been their number one, but according to an article I read it's something they're working on. VoLTE anyway.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 198,948 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yeah they need to definitely work on a few issues before implementing something new to the device. The Ghost touch issue I've been experiencing lately is pretty annoying and EIS on thr camera would be a welcome fix thats for sure. Good to hear they're working on new features though as well, thanks for letting me know that I'll have to look more into it with them.
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

I agree entirely. One other rumoured feature that I read about is double tap to wake. I guess we'll just have to see what each future update holds.
Photo of TJ Smith

TJ Smith

• 4,472 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
VoLTE and WiFi calling capabilities will be implemented on 2-3 devices at the time till phase II (live Beta) is over, don't expect the system to be fully functional (working for all capable devices) before Sept.
(Edited)
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

Good to know. Thank you
Photo of MoFromTo2018

MoFromTo2018

• 1,852 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I thought the beta and testing was over? I think they just have to enable the features on smartphones. Hopefully sooner than later.
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 12,806 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Probably later than sooner :(
Photo of Mats

Mats

• 12,806 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
According to this it is in the plans for Telus. Koodo should follow but that might or might not take awhile.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/13/essential-phone-telus-volte-calling/
Photo of Aaron

Aaron

Nice, that's the article I read. I'm thinking the same.