Will a Nexus 5 D820 phone on a Koodo plan have coverage on the Manitoba CDMA Network?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Unlocks are now free

I am considering buying a Nexus 5 from Koodo or Google Play

If the Nexus 5 has coverage now has Telus announced when they will shut down CDMA coverage in Manitoba?
Koodo will not be an option for me if I cannot get Yellowhead Highway coverage in Manitoba.

gsmarena shows these specs for North America (D820) Nexus 5 model:
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41
Photo of DennyC

DennyC

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No it will not work. Nexus 5 will only run on the HSPA/LTE network (sim card).

****ONLY*** Koodo CDMA phones can be activated on the CDMA network. No if's, and's or but's
Photo of DennyC

DennyC

Can the Koodo Samsung Galaxy S3 be activated to use on the Manitoba 3G network?

Can the Samsung Galaxy S3 be unlocked when it is paid for?
Photo of Daniel Gunn

Daniel Gunn

• 19,800 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Denny,

Unfortunately the same thing can be said about the Samsung Galaxy S3 as it can about the Nexus 5, they both use sim card technology which is not compatible with Koodos CDMA network. The only service provider in North America that uses the Nexus 5 on a CDMA/LTE network is Sprint in the United States.

You can unlock the phone at any time, it doesn't need to be paid off in order to unlock it, all you'd be charged to have it unlocked is $35 if you did it through Koodo. Another option is cellunlocker.net, they usually have cheaper rates when it comes to unlocking phones.

Hope that helps answer your question :)
Photo of DennyC

DennyC

Daniel,

That does answer my question.

My question should have been does Koodo sell a phone that will have coverage on the Manitoba 3G network?

I suspect the answer is no and Koodo would not be a good choice for coverage on the Yellowhead Highway in Manitoba.
Photo of Daniel Gunn

Daniel Gunn

Unfortunately they don't sell any CDMA phones on their website or in store, if you wanted a phone with CDMA capabilities you could always check on Kijiji for a used device that may suit your needs for Koodo. That being said, if you feel that you may need to look elsewhere for service you do certainly have options, just seems like Koodo may not be one of them sadly.
Photo of DennyC

DennyC

Daniel,

Thank you, your information has been very helpful.

How doI get my question moved to the Answered section?
Photo of Daniel Gunn

Daniel Gunn

No problem, Koodo has moderators checking the different conversations and they help determine if the question has been answered so that will happen automatically.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,120 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo's coverage in Manitoba sucks. On the trans-canada just west of Brandon until the SK border you will not get any 3G coverage and bascially all of the yellowhead until the SK border is a giant dead zone.

My advice is if you need coverage on the highways, go with MTS
Photo of DennyC

DennyC

Thank you for the advice.
I live in SK so I will stay with Sasktel, they have the same coverage as MTS.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.