Will a Blackberry Curve 8520 (X-Rogers but unlocked) work on the Koodo network?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
The unlock code I used was accepted by the BB8520 Curve but it still would not send or receive text/phone calls, even after I installed my Koodo SIM card. A trip to the local Koodo Kiosk revealed that the wireless network still indicated Rogers as the wireless carrier, another vendor confirmed that the BB8520 was unlocked correctly. We then concluded that perhaps the BB 8520 EDGE technology was incompatible with the current Koodo network.
1. Are our speculations correct?
2. If it should be compatible. Is there "deeper' Rogers code that needs to be unlocked?
3. How should we proceed to make this BB8520 Curve compatible?
Thanks for your help.
Regards;
Colin
Photo of Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ry

Ry

• 5,552 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The 8520 is is 2g phone. It will not work with Koodo.
A q5 Telus prepaid can be found for as low as 99 bucks and is far more capable than this phone.
Photo of Daniel Kim

Daniel Kim, Mobile Master

• 34,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Colin, this may seem off topic but that phone is quite old at this point and I think it might be time for an upgrade. Some great cheaper options would be the Moto X play and Moto G. Hope that helps :)
Photo of Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell

Hi:
Thanks for the quick reply. It is then as we suspected a2G phone. I guess the broader question is what happened to all the BB8520's when Koodo switched to 3G and beyond? Did everyone have to trade them in?
Photo of Ry

Ry

Telus (koodo) never operated a 2g GSM network. They had cdma before that, which is currently being shut down.
Photo of Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell

Hi Daniel:
Yes yes the 8520 is quite old, just like me. But since I acquired it at no cost to me, I thought that it would be easier to text with my Granddaughters if I up-graded from my Nokia flip phone. Besides I really thought highly of BB. However, I will now seek a better solution for mobile texting. Thanks. Regards;
Colin

Photo of Ry

Ry

You may be interested in Rogers 100 a year prepaid plan that includes unlimited texting if that is all you need
Photo of Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell

Hi Ry:
Thanks for the information re Koodo's networks. Since I don't have any money invested in the 8520, I'll search for a more current solution for texting. Thanks!
regards;
Colin
Photo of Ryan Warawa

Ryan Warawa

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
My first Koodo smartphone was a Koodo BlackBerry Curve 8530.  It still works, although I switched to a BlackBerry Q5 last year.

Do you happen to live in Vancouver?
Photo of Ry

Ry

Nice to offer, but buyer beware. 8530 is the cdma equivalent to the 8520. However, Telus is now shutting down cdma. if I recall, it won't work after 2015 (unless you are in Bell territory then it's 2017)
Photo of Colin Campbell

Colin Campbell

Hi Ry:
OK, I've shelved the 8520. However I'm still a BB supporter and I have my sights on a BOLD 9900. It is with BELL, so I will have to unlock it for KOODO, Do you think that will be ok? Thanks. Colin
Photo of CJ

CJ

• 40 Points
9900 once it's unlocked should be fine.
Photo of Ry

Ry

Yes as Colin replied, it will work. Just need to get a blackberry specific koodo plan if you want to use data. If talk and text only, then existing plan is fine

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.