Wi-Fi Connectivity Workaround - Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
This appears to be a common concern amongst Samsung Galaxy Ace owners (including myself) and possibly prevalent with other Android devices, that whenever the device attempts to connect to Wi-Fi, the following messages are received;

1. Scanning...
2. Obtaining IP address...
3. Disconnecting...
4. Scanning...

In Method 2, I’ve provided a step-by-step workaround utilizing a static IP address should you encounter this problem. Please note, this workaround may not work for all instances of this problem – two methods are provided.

Method One.

This method resets/reloads the WLAN or Wi-Fi driver in your Ace.

From your dial-pad enter: *#*#526#*#* wait for the following status message to appear.

WLANTest Engineering Mode
Status...
Driver loading successful

To exit, tap the Back button.

Method 2 -The Workaround.

First, go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi settings
Tap on Wi-Fi settings and enable Wi-Fi and Network notification.
Next, click on the Menu button and choose Advanced.

In Advanced mode, scroll down to IP settings and input the following:
(Be sure to checkmark the "Use static IP" box before continuing with this procedure).

IP address > 192.168.2.130
Gateway > 192.168.1.1
Netmask > 255.255.255.0
DNS 1 > 8.8.4.4
DNS 2 > 4.4.4.4
Tap on the Menu button and choose Save.

Remember to disable the "Use static IP" option. For example, if you are only experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity problems with your home wireless router, yet you are able to access Wi-Fi through a wireless router at work - disable the option prior to using the work router.

One last method to resolve a connectivity issue with your wireless router is to simply unplug the router until all of the status lights have turned off (approximately thirty seconds or so) then plug it back in. On most wireless routers there are options to specifically assign your device to the wireless router.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 67,104 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of ThomasS

ThomasS

• 1,080 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That's awesome! It fixed my issues. Thanks bro!
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

• 206 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
yes agree but I was to go where I bought it from which is a koodo kiosk I would expect an alternative replacement free of charge this is pro active customer service to you mykec , I understand it is a manufacturer glitch but my advise is take the phone off display and sell something that works sound like the logic thing to do
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 66,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@MykeC, given the feedback and subsequent history of this product/problem (well over a year and the fact that the manufacturer no longer supports the Galaxy Ace), wouldn't it be prudent for Koodo to take the initiative here?

While Koodo may not manufacture the device, I think that Koodo has a responsibility to the customer to be forthcoming and to remove the flawed device from store shelves and kiosks, rather than trying to make a quick couple of bucks, while knowingly selling a defective device.

If Koodo still wants to sell the device fairly, I think the Ace should be clearly marked DISCONTINUED. This way the customer still has the option to buy the device, but assumes all inherent risks.
Photo of Wayne Ford

Wayne Ford

• 60 Points
My speech to text was working since I bought the phone, and now it stopped working this past week.My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830D...Have any ideas?? Anybody?? Thanks
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,958 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Please repost this as it's own thread in a new topic... It'll get more notice thatvway
Photo of asratadugna abel

asratadugna abel

• 60 Points
thank you this is good information
Photo of emilynielsen150

emilynielsen150

• 60 Points
It fixed my first probleym but now i have another .... its says scanning and it never seems to say my wifi is in range when im in my house reasons?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Try unplugging your wireless router, wait until all the status lights on the router have gone out, then plug the router back in - you won't lose your security settings on the router.

Wait until your wireless router's status lights begin blinking again and try to connect your device using Wi-Fi.

Tip. Turn off Bluetooth as this technology will directly interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
Photo of Hilary Parry

Hilary Parry

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm having the same problem. I was able to type into the phone keypad *#526# and if I did that 3 or 4 times it would eventually say "unloading Normal driver and loading Mfg driver" and then driver installed successfully and then the wifi would work fine for a little while.
It's fine finding my home wifi, but not my work place. very annoying.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I hear you. I have included a second method to try, along with some free apps you might want to experiment with. Never encountered Wi-Fi issues quite like this with Android devices, I am continuing to research this issue and will report back to the community with any new findings.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

First, go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi settings
Tap on Wi-Fi settings and enable Wi-Fi and Network notification.
Next, click on the Menu button and choose Advanced.

In Advanced mode, scroll down to IP settings and input the following:
(Be sure to checkmark the "Use static IP" box before continuing with this procedure).

IP address > 192.168.2.130
Gateway > 192.168.1.1
Netmask > 255.255.255.0
DNS 1 > 8.8.4.4
DNS 2 > 4.4.4.4
Tap on the Menu button and choose Save.

REMEMBER! To disable the "Use static IP" option. For example, if you are only experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity problems with your work wireless router, yet you are able to access Wi-Fi through a wireless router at home (or vice versa) - disable the "Use static IP" option prior to using the work router.

There are also FREE Android Market Apps that will attempt to restore Wi-Fi functionality, they are:

Wi-Fi Fixer - repairs connectivity issues with Android Wi-Fi
FXR Wi-Fi Fix and rescue - repairs connectivity issues with Android Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi Analyzer - Wi-Fi network analyzer
Fing - Wi-Fi network analyzer
Photo of Hilary Parry

Hilary Parry

thanks for the note about the apps, I'll go try them.
the issue is a bit weird as the problem has only come up recently. I got the phone at the end of November and it had no problem picking up wifi networks throughout December. It's only recently that it's been unable to connect to particular networks, mainly my work network (I can't restart the router there or use the static IP, I tried, it didn't do anything).
Photo of Hilary Parry

Hilary Parry

tried WiFi fixer and it had no affect, so I uninstalled it.
Now i'm getting a similar but stranger problem. My phone shows that I am connected to wifi with full bars (at work) but I can't access the internert or get my email.
I'm going to take it to a Koodo kiosk this weekend and see if anyone there can help me. Unless someone can get back to me first.
Photo of Hilary Parry

Hilary Parry

I called Koodo on the weekend and reset my phone back to factory default settings to see if it was something that I had done. I had no problem connecting to my wifi at home or my mom's but the problem has come up again now that I'm at work. No one else in my office appears to have this problem, so I'm pretty sure it's my phone.
The phone says it's connected to my work's wifi but it's not as I cannot browse to google or get my email. The phone won't scan for networks, for instance right now it says my work's wifi is not in range, but I'm at the office connected to my PC and setting the phone to scan for networks does nothing.

if any one else is having similar problems, please let me know what you did.
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

I did the reset to factory with Samsung the very next day it did connect to my bell network at home , only to disconnect again a few days later the problem with this reset factory thing is you sometime lose some of your save date aka phone contact etc ,,,it is definetly a problem with this phone right now koodo as not offer to replace it with a different model but since it is on warranty for me I plan on making a request , regards hope my comment help
Photo of Hilary Parry

Hilary Parry

I just did a factory reset again. I could connect easily to my work's wifi but when I tried to load my google account the connection failed.
I plan on taking this phone in for a replacement.
Photo of Amit Kumar

Amit Kumar

• 60 Points
From half an hour its its showing Wlan engineering test. Nothing else happening
Photo of JC Reagan

JC Reagan

• 60 Points
This one is a weird one.

My wife and I both have Galaxy Aces. Both recognize my wi-fi network, however, one will actually download data (ie gmail or facebook) and the other one will not. The funny thing is that if you turn off the wi-fi, then it takes about 15 or 30 minutes to reset and allow the other phone to download. Very strange and I'm not sure what the problem is.

The Mac addresses are different.
The IP addresses are the same. -- which I think is my problem.

However, I just tried that workaround with the static ip and it wouldn't connect at all. Any thoughts?
Photo of Cast

Cast

• 12,740 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Contact your ISP ;).
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The IP addresses the phones are grabbing can not be the same. if they are, your router is assigning IP addresses incorrectly (Unless you've got them both set to the same static IP). you may want to add your MAC addresses for the phones to your routers whitelist. Also the check the gateway as some routers actually use alternate gateways. Apple in particular. to verify the actual gateway follow these steps:

Source: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajfx.html

Windows
In Windows 7 and Vista, click Start. In the search box, type cmd , and then press Enter.
In Windows XP, from the Start menu, click Run... . In the "Open:" field, type cmd , and then click OK.

This will open the command prompt. At the prompt, enter ipconfig . This will display your network information, including your default gateway.
Mac OS X
From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

In System Preferences, from the View menu, select Network.

Select the appropriate port. For example, choose Ethernet for broadband connections, AirPort for wireless, or Internal Modem for dial-up.

Click Advanced... , and in the sheet that opens, click the TCP/IP tab. The number next to "Router:" is your default gateway.
Photo of MatB

MatB

• 32,458 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
usually it can fix cnnectionproblem what if there is different customized IP address
for instance some routers have different Host IP address an example: 192.168.0.1, so if you are not aware of the customized IPit won't take 192.168.1.1 range, besides, this kind of problems can only happen when signal is not strong, or for some unkown reasons, the ultimate fix, powercycle router/phone or phone reset, delete Wi-Fi connection and create it manually with correct credentials to force connection, avoide automatic scanning, this is happening on all phone models not only Samsung Galaxy Ace.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Power cycling the router and phone are only temporary fixes. The Ace and other devices will perform better if they become preferred devices on the router. I've run my Ace this way for well over a year with only two minor connectivity issues which were caused by power outtages in my immediate neighbourhood.
Photo of John Lee

John Lee

• 36,724 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have just performed the 1st and 2nd method. I go to school tomorrow. Will comment back the outcome. Thank you rikkster!
Photo of Julie Cadieux

Julie Cadieux

• 72 Points
Hello!
I have had my Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830D / Android Version 2.3.4 / Gingerbread.DTLKI4 / for over a year. This past weekend I got that 'error' msg when trying to turn on the wifi, ALSO the battery seems to drain out and my phone dies within 2 hours (both issues started occuring at the exact same time).

Today I took my phone to a Koodo Kiosk and they did a factory reset and he said it should be fine. I brought it home to recharge it, but it is not. Same problem.

I got on my laptop and saw this post; I did both METHOD 1 and METHOD 2 (several times!). I also turned on and off the phone a few times, I rebooted my wireless router twice and even took out my phone's simm card and battery and put it back in.

Any other suggestions?!
Thanks, Julie
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

get another phone seriously read the comments on this website and it's obvious the problem is not being address properly
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

With the Ace being nearly a year old, it may be time for a new battery. Low power will result in poor connectivity issues to the router. It's not the main issue at hand, but you will have much better results with a brand new battery.

You will have to make the Ace a preferred device by adding it's MAC address to a preferred list of devices on your router. The settings areas of every router is different and I don't have mine hooked up at the moment.

The MAC address for the Ace is found under Settings > About phone - tap Status and scroll down to Wi-Fi MAC address. You probably wont see anything there until you establish a Wi-Fi connection with the Ace.

You'll need to get into the settings portion of your router by typing it's own IP address into whatever browser you use. Most common or default IP address is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 - the IP address is usually printed on a sticker on the router itself.

The username is either admin or cusadmin and the password area is generally left blank.

If you can tell me the make and model of your router, I'll be able to walk you through the rest of the procedure.
Photo of Martin Girouard

Martin Girouard

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Rikkster it's not the battery, it's the constant connect/unconnect cycle draining the battery.

My wife's phone is having this problem and she isn't tech-minded enough to do the stuff above, she just wants it to work.

The staticIP is great for people who only ever use their home network but otherwise is pretty useless. And you really shouldn't have to be doing this stuff.

It's obvious there is a problem with either the phone or the software.. anyone know which it is?
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

Martin, the steps above describe a "workaround" and not a permanent fix for this very well known bug in the software.
Photo of Julie Cadieux

Julie Cadieux

• 72 Points
Thanks Martin.

My husband figured out that this was the problem also (the connect/unconnect cycle draining the battery). If you keep the phone on 'airplane mode' it will hold a charge forever. Although this defeats the purpose of actually having and using a cell phone!!!?!

What we ended up doing was we removed the SIMM card and put it in my husband's old Blackberry and with a $7 changeover fee from Koodo I now at least have a working phone again. As for my Samsung? It has a new life as my teenager's MP3 player and address book!
Photo of Martin Girouard

Martin Girouard

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
She hasn't had it that long so I'm just going to return it. I can't believe people just accept it as something they have to live with. It obviously doesn't work as it should.
Photo of Martin Girouard

Martin Girouard

• 60 Points
I ended up just buying another phone.
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

what a shame of koodo I say to knowingly aknowledge that there is an issue with this phone which I own one myself too ,,, and not do anything about it , mine is still under warranty ,,,, the factory one year that is but I m seriously considering using another service provider as a protest for this non proactive customer service
Photo of MykeC

MykeC

• 20,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Renald, the issue with wifi connectivity is that it has nothing to do with Koodo services, so it's directly related to the phone & the manufacturer. All we can do is send the phone in for repair or do an exchange for the same model.

Take this for example. If the device was not connected to any network and was not able to connect to your wifi, wouldn't you think that the issue would be with the phone and not with the mobile provider(since it's not connected to a mobile provider).

rikkster, Mobile Master

I'll have to side with Renald on this one. I realize this is probably one of the the few low end devices left in the Koodo lineup. Since this is a documented issue and has been around for well over a year, why is it Koodo continues to sell a product with known defects? It extends further than the Wi-Fi issue, where data must be turned off in order to text. Get rid of the Ace once and for all.
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

for me honestly it was a waste of time I was a the koodo kiosk they sent the phone in to Samsung for repair and upgrade check only to be return by them and saying the phone was fine?? ,,, which is not true ,, there is a glitch with wi fi connectivity , I m glad koodo does publish this kind of web site , I hope koodo will read this comment and take corrective action and I don't agree with mykec on his suggestion on getting the same model , why would I do that to end up with the same problem? and has the service provider koodo is also responsible for the product they sell this is 101 customer satisfaction
Photo of terry harding

terry harding

• 60 Points
nice to hear of this problem now my time is up to return my phone...and my three month old galaxy ace suddenly won't bring up any internet even though it shows a wireless connection :( :( :( rrrgggg
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

I hear you.

I've had the Ace for well over a year and I have yet to pinpoint the actual cause. It's definitely a bug in the firmware/software of the device. The dumbest thing is that if you perform a factory reset, the Ace works like a charm and will connect to virtually any wireless network, but who wants to do that everytime they lose wireless connectivity, right?

I have managed to make the Ace a preferred device by associating the Ace's MAC address to the wireless routers' list of preferred wireless devices and it connects in an instant. However, when it comes to accessing free wireless hotspots, connectivity is still hit and miss.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

If this devices is over a year old (out of warranty) i highly recommend rooting it and installing cyanogenmod 7. The benefits are staggering besides just fixing this connectivity issue, profiles, sliding notificationbar brightness control, the ability to increase available storage space, faster boot time, removal of bloatware. Why stay frustrated. My optimus one was frankly terrible until Cyanogenmod made it usable. My step daughter has it now. It's two years old n still kicking.
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this wi fi connectivity issue with this Samsung model this galaxy ace is about 8 months old now after having it resend to the manufacturer it was sent back to me saying there is nothing wrong with the wi fi connection well at least I can tell them there is and now after reading this I m thinking of getting a different brand I had an lg has a loaner and the wi fi connection was just fine ,,, I m disappointed the way Samsung handle the whole thing and even koodo for not mentioning the connectivity issue with this phone
Photo of Jennifer Tewnion

Jennifer Tewnion

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
wow nobody mentioned this to me when i bought it! I am beyond angry, because I have had issues where if I connect ot WI FI I can't send or recieve texts and phone calls. If only they would have warned us or something, I hate this phone, and have to pay off a broken from the start ohone to get a new one >.<
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

this is what I am the most disappoint about by now they know there is a problem with this phone and they still sell it at their kiosk... i know because i drop by last week this is unacceptable , the problem now is we can not trust the representative obviously they are just there to sell mobile phone with no care for the customer ,,, i have been a koodo mobile customer for many years and i can not complain about other aspects of their business being , biling issue or changing phone plan they have always been very co operative and attentive to my request , it is very unfortunate that they carry a smartphone this galaxy ace with known problem and are not being pro active about it
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Koodo did remove the phone from their lineup but many kiosks still have stock of it so they must sell what they have. Although a good number of these devices had issues some don't. so it's a crap shoot as to which have issues. The real fault is with Samsung who is aware of the issue but has discontinued support for the now 4? Year old device.

If you are thinking of upgrading but are still looking at an entry level device I've had experience with the Nokia 520 lumia and it's a great little powerhouse that gets the job done in a really innovative way. We don't see that many (none) complaints about them here in the community. Only drawbacks are, not a ton of apps, no front facing camera, no camera flash. But you'll find everything else there. If you've got some money to spend the Galaxy S2x is a great older flagship and if you really want something special, the Nexus 4 will wow you and the price is only 300$ outright. You have some options. And as always, rooting the device and installing a custom rom will leave you with a new experience and a phone that works surprisingly well.
Photo of Renald Power

Renald Power

hi chad thank you for your information
but for me it still does not make sense that some koodo kiosk would sell a phone that they know as some issue this tells me that they have more interest in selling than customer satisfaction
also what I would be expecting from koodo is an offer to replace free of charge this model with a different one that does not have wi fi connectivity issue , that would be
fair to me
so far after numerous emails on this forum and feedback on their survey and phone representative I feel that I am not being listen to
regards
renald
Photo of Almeda Perry

Almeda Perry

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
ive had problelms with phone from day l, took in to Koodo they would just play with it and after awhile it would work say look it is working now, called samsung they tell me they never had any complaints with this model lol. This is the only phone i have at cottage and it gets very frusturating when u try calling out and u get The Process com.android phone has stopped unexpectdly. Please try again, lots of times i cant get it working until someone calls in , today I was trying to get the dial pad to call out and it said Activity dialer(in process.com android.phone is not responding. Im a senior with a sick husband and just have this phone to depend on, HELP!!!!!
Photo of MatB

MatB

This Post was posted one year ago, the workaround works perfectly, now new Galaxy phones have been released like Galxy 2, S2, S3 and S4, you can profit from new Koodo Medium/Large Tabs to upgrade to newer phone.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

Seriously MatB! Reread her post. Her process.android.com is crashing. The phone is unuseable. How does what you suggested help her? What workaround is available for this issue?

The only option I can suggest Almeda is to perform a factory reset on the device.

You'll loose any information saved on the device but seeing that it's unusable that's not really an issue.

Here's how to get into recovery so you can do the reset.
Photo of MatB

MatB

Supposedly she posted on a Wi-Fi workaround post, I assumed that she was talking about Wi-fi connection, she said she took it to Koodo store they could make it work, any one will deduct that it was her Wi-Fi that did not work. all these answers were related to Wi-Fi connection not working.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.