Why does the "Google Play Services" app constantly draw data?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
It seems to draw data constantly. Not much mind you, I see it cache maybe 24KB at a time. But that adds up after a while. I'll check it multiple times a day and it will have this stored. I almost never have the Store open, and if I do I close it through the application manager immediately. These are tied together as far as I know, you you can't stop the services one....it just keeps restarting. Any thoughts?
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of MatB

MatB

• 32,478 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you selected allow updates when you download apps from play store, it'll go check your installed apps update, you should also diseable auto-sync go to settings>applications>samsung apps>check update notification off
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

At the moment that is set to WiFi only which seems good to me. The weird part is, and I should have put this in the write up, is this has only been happening for about the last week. I've never seen it store anything before.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 200,290 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It could be since the playstore was updated in Canada to a new version about a week or so ago. Your phone now has the option to sync game / app data. You can see a new option under what syncs from your Google account in the phones settings menu.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,244 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Interesting... I looked and I can't seem to find it. Guess that will be rolled out gradually?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 200,380 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You should have it already Sophia, when you go to Google in your accounts under settings and click on your email address don't you see it at the top Like this below
Photo of Paul Deschamps

and you should have the new designed Google playstore already don't you? I already have it on both Note 2's (international version & carrier Bell version), Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Nexus S, HTC ONE. You should have it
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,284 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes I do :) Also, DUH! I never clicked my email address, thanks Paul!
Photo of Paul Deschamps

No problem, it's what I do lol ;-)
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

It's telling me that the last time I synced was the 17th. Which is cool. I unchecked auto sync one menu above and it's still cache-ing data every now and then....
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 4,030 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
It just checks periodically to see if any of your installed apps are out of date and if there is a newer version of them.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Unfortunately this has only been happening for about a week. I've had the phone for 2 years. And some apps for almost 1. Never auto cached data before.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,284 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It must be something Google sneaked in there with the new update... how much data did it use so far Adam, or can you tell?
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Like I said in the write up, not a lot. It's usually at 28KB when I check and clear. but that 28KB will show up 4 times a day. 0.1MB doesn't sound like a lot, and it isn't. But that is a bit of data that I am not using that gets eaten off of my plan each month.
Photo of MatB

MatB

Paul outlined the way you need to do to prevent your phone use that data if it syncs some of your apps.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Thanks for coming out Mat.....if that had worked do you think I would still be here?
Photo of MatB

MatB

Since you followed all suggestions and still having same issue, try diseabling Data services! and monitore your Data usage again.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

What would disabling data accomplish? I'm genuinely curious. Wouldn't that block me from using anything connected to data?
Photo of MatB

MatB

Just MMS
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

MMS as in multi media messaging? Like picture/video messages?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

No mat it would disconnect all data not just mms.
Adam it could very well be your phone just checking your installed apps to see if an updated version is available in the playstore. Google also just implemented a gaming feature that you will be able to compete with your friends in games that have implemented the feature. These games will now allow you to sign in with your Google + account to compete with others on friend and worldwide leader boards, I'm not 100% sure at what level it's implemented but it would be a play services feature so is probably what's consuming that data. I haven't dug too deep into this feature as of yet so I'm not sure what or if it can be disabled, if I find it I'll let you know or if you do come back and let us know.
One quick question Adam, Have you signed into any games with your Google + account?
Photo of MatB

MatB

I suggested to Adam to diseable Data based on his post where he was saying: (At the moment that is set to WiFi only which seems good to me), I thought he didn't have Koodo Data Plan and did not need to enable Data services.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Mat: That was for the "notification update" option. Not data in general.

Paul: I do not have a Google + account. I usually kill the play store app right after I am done with it, and that has always worked in the past. It's only within the last week or so that it has been caching stuff like this. It was mentioned that there was an update but I haven't seen that either. I certainly haven't installed anything in quite some time.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

The Google Playstore updates it's self automatically, you don't do anything.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Ok, that would explain not seeing anything. If it was this update then it is kinda screwing me over...I'm losing a few megabytes a month of the limited supply I have.
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Does your playstore look like this now? If so this is the new playstore
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

Actually no it doesn't....
Photo of Paul Deschamps

If you have a device running Android 4.0 or above go to settings - usage - scroll down to Google play services and tap it - Then click the option to restrict background data for that app.
Photo of Adam Sharkey

Adam Sharkey

No I'm stuck on 3.something. I checked for an update to 4 and nothing. It's like this phone can't support it or something.

Ninja EDIT: Disregard that. I'm on 2.3.4 -_-

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.