Why offer $5 credit for automatic prepaid top up? Why warn me answering my question at 611 may cost me $5?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

So I get a text from Koodo offering me $5 for topping up my prepaid account. As near as I can figure, I have to call 611, but they say getting an answer may cost me $5. Does that make any sense? How do I get my $5? I'm already on automatic top up.
Photo of Barb Phinney

Barb Phinney

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 141,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Barb, I see where the misunderstanding comes from :) Calling *611 is free, but they charge $5 if you ask them to change something that you can do yourself in self service.

Speaking of self service, to get the 100 free minutes you will need to log in here: https://prepaidselfserve.koodomobile....
Then remove your credit card, log out, then log back in and re-add your credit card. Don't forget to re-enable auto top up as well, so you keep getting the 10% monthly discount!
Photo of Barb Phinney

Barb Phinney

Thank you. I did as you suggested, but where do I see if I got a $5 credit?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

You probably received a text message by now I guess, Barb that the minutes have been added - if not, expect it soon :)
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Give it a few hours to a day. That's how long I had to wait :)
Photo of Brian Paul

Brian Paul

• 2,188 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
So, if I cancel my auto top up, then re-apply it, not only will I continue getting my 10%, but, I will also get 100 free minutes?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Yes absolutely! You will need to remove your credit card as well but when you put it all back, you'll get it all :)
Photo of Brian Paul

Brian Paul

Okay, tried this this morning. Now, let's see if it goes through.
Thanks.
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

• 51,386 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great news Barb, you don't have to do a thing! Once your base plan renews, you'll get your $5 credit along with a confirmation text delivered right to your phone :)
Photo of Darius Prince

Darius Prince

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It's been 2 days and mine still isn't showing online.
Photo of Veronica

Veronica

• 3,528 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hey Darius, 

Give us a call at 1-647-788-3948 from another line and we'll be able to assist you with that.

Many thanks!
Photo of Kathy B

Kathy B

• 60 Points
Hi I brought my phone and I'm supposed to get 10 % off monthly. Also registered my credit card for 10% off. but I don't see it show up anywhere. How do I get theses discounts on my account.

thanks
Photo of Brian Paul

Brian Paul

It will not remove it from your bill. It will accumulate in your account, where you can use it to buy boosters.
Photo of Brian Ramler

Brian Ramler

I have the same situation except I have $52 credit in my account. I just opted out of the automatic top up. Will it now use the some of the $52 to pay for my plan automatically and will I still get the 10% discount? In theory it is still an auto top up in my opinion since it is paid ahead.

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Hi Brian (Ramler, not Paul) - 

No, if you remove auto top up altogether, you won't get the 10% discount. What I would suggest instead is lower the amount of auto top up to $5. You will still get the full 10% of your plan (not of the $5) and you will slowly start to use up your $52. When it's down to a few dollars, you can up it to the amount of your plan again. It's what I do too :)
Photo of Brian Ramler

Brian Ramler

Thanks Sophia. That's a great idea. I'll give it a shot. Interesting today I spoke with someone from Koodo named Sophia. Was it you by chance?

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Haha no... I don't work for Koodo :) My name is getting popular I guess!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.