Why no text message warnings at 50%, 90%, 100% for pay-per-use 250KB plan?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I have tried a few searches without success.

We turned mobile data on to receive picture texts and expected text warnings if some other app used data without our knowledge.    Well that is what happened and we were charged for data without any of the three warnings.   Restrict background data was turned on.

What exactly does background data restricted accomplish?    Will this bock not visible but still on apps from using data.  Does it only work when the phone is OFF but not in sleep?

With mobile data on for texting will the NEO update any apps/programs,etc without asking for permission?

Any other ideas how data was used/charged without our knowledge and what can be done about it.

Thanks in advance for the time and effort needed to supply any help you may have to offer.
Photo of Zana Nesbitt

Zana Nesbitt

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 88,974 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
1) Pay-per-use data does not receive text warnings. Limited data allotments do receive them on post paid plans, IF SET.
2) Background data restrict is supposed to prevent apps updating until connected to Wi-Fi. It does not prevent apps from gathering new information for their operation. For example, a weather app will gather new weather information in the background.

3) If you want to use data only for MMS (picture texts), then the Shock-free data plan or a $2/month data block night be a better choice. The data block will let only MMS data through.
Photo of titaniumtux

titaniumtux

• 12,912 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I took the data block on my talk & text only Koodo lines. Customer service advised me that it will block MMS as well. I was OK with the fact that MMS would be blocked.

An alternative would be to send a web link via text to multimedia hosted on a website.

The other option would be to switch to a plan that includes some buffer data (say 50 or 100 MB), that way when you have data on and you're outside of a wifi zone, you won't get hit with overages.

Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ever since data block costed 2$/month, MMS was no longer blocked. Users who pay the 2$/month can still send and receive MMS' without any issues.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@ Zena, you might want to consider switching plans. You can do it free online. You are on $35 unlimited plan now with no data included therefore no notification to signal how much of your data bucket you used. It doesn't look like you are using that many minutes for talking at all. We have plans currently for just five dollars more a month that a healthy amount of minutes and data. It comes with peace of mind as well, since it has the shock-free-data feature to block you from going over. 
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,704 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If OP doesn't use much talk minutes, why he need to upgrade his plan- $5 more?
He could switch to prepaid plan. 
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,528 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To use data. Most likely it would be cheaper than the pay-per-use method of data, which is at minimum $5. Prepaid is a possible alternative, as long as customers pay off their TAB. Monthly plans are still more attractive and hold better value. 
(Edited)