Why is the pre-paid BB Q5 $200, and the monthly BB Q5 $150?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Why is the pre-paid BB Q5 $200, and the monthly BB Q5 $150?
Photo of Paul MacLean

Paul MacLean

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Daniel Gunn

Daniel Gunn

• 19,800 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
With most cell phone providers they typically charge more for a similar phone on prepaid than they would on contract. Reason being is because you may pay upfront for the prepaid phone and pay nothing upfront on the tab but pay more each month. So you save initially with the tab and save more over the long term with prepaid. Hope that helps answer your question :)
(Edited)
Photo of Some random Mobile Master

Some random Mobile Master, Mobile Master

• 39,554 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The reason, Paul, is to discourage "bait-and-switch". Many people bought phones from Koodo only to unlock them and take them to other carriers. By having the outright price higher, this effect is reduced.

And those who still want the cheaper phone have to actually get a Koodo monthly plan and go through the credit check and all that, so it's a lot less appealing to someone who did not plan on staying anyway,

Best way to go about it is to pick a phone, pick a plan, and stay ;)
Photo of Paul MacLean

Paul MacLean

Thanks for the updates David and Daniel. I already have a monthly plan and a phone that is already paid for. I was looking to add a pre-paid as a second phone. So I suppose the best thing for me to do is transfer my current phone as a pre-paid after picking up the BB Q5 for $150 on my tab.
Photo of Daniel Kim

Daniel Kim, Mobile Master

• 34,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
or if you want Paul, you could also get the BB Q5 on the tab and keep using your current phone on your monthly plan and use the BB Q5 as a prepaid phone. Since the phone itself is not a designated "post-paid" phone if that makes sense. Totally up to you though
Photo of Paul MacLean

Paul MacLean

Thanks Daniel. Makes ¢ to me ;-)
Photo of Some random Mobile Master

Some random Mobile Master, Mobile Master

• 39,554 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yup, that would be even easier, Paul. Just swap out the SIM cards and you're done :) Thanx for the reminder, Daniel!
Photo of Daniel Kim

LOL no problem :)
Photo of Paul MacLean

Paul MacLean

Actually, a SIMCARD comes with both the pre-paid and monthly/tab, so delta is $30.
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 576 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
They deleted the TAB option just as I was deciding to purchase it? Can you purchase the prepaid and then use on your monthly plan later? I cannot get any response to emails from the company despite having three phones on family plan for the last three years.
Photo of Daniel Kim

Hi Bob, if you purchase a prepaid q5, yes you can use it on your monthly plan! :D
Photo of Bob

Bob

• 576 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It does mean I have to pay $200 up front rather than pay off $150 over time. Definitely a bad move for those of us needing an affordable way to get a smartphone. I can't believe they decided that just as I was researching this issue.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 112,838 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you call a few koodo shops, they might have the Q5 as a "Certified Pre-Owned Phone" :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.