Why have US add ons with Koodo packages raised almost 200% since last year?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of Ken Wesner

Ken Wesner

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,490 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Something something because Koodo can something something.
Photo of Ken Wesner

Ken Wesner

Is this ment to make sense?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,490 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Because they can doesn't make sense? I was being cheeky with the "something something" but basically they can.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 32,772 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Ken,
How did you come up with the number 200%? Why not 20 or 201%
Photo of Ken Wesner

Ken Wesner

Last year I paid $35 a month for US add ons that this year will cost $7 a day and will max out at $100 per month.
My math may be a little off but I am pretty sure that the mark up is much closer to 200% than 20%
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,560 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Ken, last year you paid $45 for the package you mentioned. It gave you access to minutes and text only. Nowadays more and more customers want to use data. So we redesigned the add-on to allow using people's data allotment from their plan. Basically, they can now use their phone in the US the same way they use it at home. The daily fee is only applicable for the days when the phone is used.
Your alternative could be pay-per use rates. Incoming texting is always free. Outgoing texts currently are five dollars for a hundred sent texts. Hope this provides some context. 
Photo of Ken Wesner

Ken Wesner

Koodo has definitely culled plans for people like me who only need minutes and texts. I usually top up 2 phones when we do our 2 month annual visit to California. We are not data users we only use wifi connections. Searching the web I see that Bell has similar plans that Koodo had offered in the past. I may have to switch providers,unfortunate as I have been a long time happy customer. Thank you all for the helpful info.
Photo of peter gunter

peter gunter

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

2 months in California? You must be well off to do that. Clearly not an average Canadian. Seems like haggling for a few dollars is worth it. If you are down that long why not just get a local sim? 

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 89,014 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Ken Wesner,
  Koodo's parent company Telus also offers plans similar to those you are seeking. More options are always available from the top-tier carriers, than the budget brands. 
Photo of Ken Wesner

Ken Wesner

Telus monthly rates are higher than I am paying now, their travel add ons are identical,obviously trying to faze out Koodo. Just can’t justify being charged $7 if only sending one text in a 24hr period.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.