Why does my new Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 not have an FM radio. Is it because Koodo disables the FM chip, or does this phone not have it?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Why does my new Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 not have an FM radio. Is it because Koodo disables the FM hardware, or does this phone not have an FM chip?
Photo of Holly Wile

Holly Wile

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • cheated

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 96,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's usually the carrier's choice although manufacturers also have a role. Since international versions seem to have it enabled I'd say it's a Telus/Koodo policy for the a5 in Canada. Carriers generally don't comment on why but when a media outlets covers it the speculation is usually to monetize more data usage for audio streaming.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 67,162 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can check out the following and drill down thru the links. Still won't get your FM radio buzzing...

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does-the-lg-g5-have-a-fm-radio-tuner-enabled-chip
Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 203,220 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Side note if your looking for a phone that Koodo presently sells that does have a built in FM radio then the G6 has a working FM radio and its an incredible phone especially at the sale price Koodo is selling it at right now, I absolutely love mine and haven't had a single issue with it even using it nearly non stop every waking moment for the last 4 months.
Photo of Holly Wile

Holly Wile

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just phoned Koodo and they confirmed they do not disable the hardware, so they transferred my call to Samsung. Unfortunately, Samsung positively confirmed for me that my Galaxy A5 2017 does not have an FM radio as part of its hardware. I now feel cheated because all my other phones had one...
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 199,818 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you within the 15 day return period? If so bring it back and get the G6 it's a way better phone in every way and has the FM radio you desire. Or look for a used one online
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 92,550 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Any review outside of Canada shows the Fm radio in use of that phone. I'm really surprised that they would either lie or not have a Fm chip in the Canadian version.
Photo of Allen D. Crew

Allen D. Crew

• 60 Points
Me too
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 92,550 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You too...?
Photo of Paul Deschamps

• 199,818 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Try downloading this app they may indeed have a chip just not an app to use that chip https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I second the return-for-a-G6 vote. FM radio works and it's an awesome phone.
Photo of Henly Park

Henly Park

• 60 Points
Samsung pretty much lied to you... if you install a custom Rom you have access to the fm radio.. most likely been disabled through the kernel
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 67,162 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There's a thread on the French side that has the answer:

https://communaute.koodomobile.com/koodofr/topics/pas-de-radio-fm-dans-les-applications-sur-mon-sams...

To summarize: the North American version of the phone does not have firmware for the FM radio. The customer in question has a friend with the identical phone, but bought in France, which does have a functional FM radio.

Flashing the firmware of the European version onto the Koodo phone enables the radio. So the hardware is not lacking.