why am i being charged for incoming calls from within ontario when my plan has that as "free"

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am being charged for incoming calls generated within Ontario - my plan specifically states these are "free". WTF?
Photo of michael garneau

michael garneau

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Which plan do you have and are you a postpaid or prepaid customer?
Photo of michael garneau

michael garneau

I have a plan they have been pushing me for years to upgrade from. In fact they have started to charge me an occasional $10 fee to allow me to deny their plan change when they automatically change me without my consent! Get a load of that. I simply want to keep the bare bones plan I have and they want to bleed me of my money. I use my phone very little and never access the internet. It has never, until this month where I was charged for incoming calls, cost me more than the $30 / month fee. I get 200 anytime minutes, free after 5 pm and on week ends and free incoming calls.

I do not have my phone nailed to my head. I am not a phone guy. 

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,424 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure your old plan has unlimited incoming calls? None of the current ones do unless you have an unlimited out/in plan. Can you copy/paste your plan details or post a screenshot of it?

If you feel like you're being charged unfairly you should contact customer service to discuss your plan and dispute fees.
Photo of michael garneau

michael garneau

You are correct. I just reviewed my plan and the "free incoming" has been removed from my plan and no longer appears. How can they continually get away with this crap.... They often make changes to my plan without notifying me and, as I said, they have automatically changed me to higher cost plans without my approval. I have had to call them up and demand a reversal to my original plan and now they charge me a $10 stipend to allow me to keep my original plan. None of this is right. This is an assault on consumer rights and now I have a $100 bill to show.
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,424 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo won't change your plan without your consent, so I'm not sure how that happened. It's best to speak with someone at Koodo to dispute your charges and ask for a resolution.

Try calling them or emailing them today; the contact us link is at the bottom of the website. Good luck.
(Edited)
Photo of michael garneau

michael garneau

I will end with telling you I go to Florida each winter for 4 months. They charge me $15 + tax per month to hold my plan and keep my same number. I notify them 4 months in advance when I am returning and when to resume my service and in the last 4 years they have automatically placed me in a higher cost plan when I returned. If there were a company that wanted to stand out from the rest and possible take huge chunk of market share in an ever expanding demographic that company would cater to snowbirds like me and meet our needs without tricks or deceptions. The government should step in but unfortunately our federal and provincial governments are without back bone and simply cater to big business.

Shame.

Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 69,820 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A fellow snowbird's advice: you can port your Koodo number out to a VoIP service (CallCentric, Fongo, etc) for a few dollars a month and have them forward your calls to your FL number in winter and your ??seasonal Koodo?? number the rest of the year. No need to pay the $15 on an ongoing basis, and you keep your number forever. $75 a year for CallCentric service with several numbers, a portable landline over internet and all the forwarding I can use. FL and Cden friends can call without dealing with long distance charges wherever you are.

For my usage, Koodo prepaid has worked out be$t. You could look at other options such as Public Mobile that offer talk/text/data only or in various local/long distance combinations and find something more suited to your needs using your current phone without need to unlock.
(Edited)
Photo of Falcon

Falcon

• 452 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Like Bob's suggestion, my dad is a snow bird as well and migrates to Florida for six months of the year.  He doesn't have a plan but a prepaid plan instead and it seems to work out pretty well for him.  He has a prepaid phone in the states and has a prepaid phone in Canada.  It's less hassle for him this way.  You may want to consider it.

Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 96,222 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
By using the $15 seasonal hold plan, you only retain your cellular number. You are required to select an in-market plan from those available at the time you change your plan from the seasonal hold to an active plan. Your choosing of the seasonal hold plan is your consent to change your plan on your return.

VoIP with appropriate Ring Groups to SIP phone, landline or cellphone can be the best options for mobile residents.

Also, if you don't need a MOBILE phone, look at Koodo's Wireless Home Phone option for $20 / month.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,612 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Honestly I'm surprised that they let you go back to your old plan and that they never explained it to you each time that when you come back from seasonal hold you are supposed to pick an in-market plan. Seems like when they took over free incoming that you got a newer plan rather than your old plan exactly. You're sure that for four years now each time you were never told this? Especially after you complained about it?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.