When dial *611 it connects me to VERIZON!

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 1-866

using Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910V), Unlocked from Verizon , Android 5.0.1 on Koodo Prepaid.
Texting and calling allright. But when dial *611 it starts calling to Verizon support, thus starts roaming and spending my money :(
Googled, didn't find fix.
Another trouble is Mobile Data keeps staying on after being turned off, pretends to be off showing it is turned off but it is on. Does not depend on wifi, I mean even if both wifi and m.data are OFF I can still browse internet. Again - wastes my data (money).
will appretiate your help!
Photo of Jamba Gestalten

Jamba Gestalten

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 67,286 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That phone unfortunately is a mongrel as far as cel networks is concerned. Verizon uses older CDMA technology for voice + a mix of GSM (which requires a SIM) for data, whlle Koodo and other Canadian carriers no longer support CDMA and require a SIM exclusively.

*611 is usually baked into the phone's firmware on CDMA and is looked at by default regardless of the SIM inserted into the phone, so your phone connects to Verizon, probably through a local roaming partner.

It's a great phone, but not for use with any Canadian carrier:

http://www.phonemore.com/phone/samsung-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910v/1844

I would be surprised if your phone passes the basic compatibility test:

http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-...

Sorry we can't be of more positive assistance. Your only solution is probably to replace the phone.
(Edited)
Photo of Jamba Gestalten

Jamba Gestalten

thank you for responce!
compatability for Koodo says "We are unable to find your device. Please ensure you have entered the correct IMEI"
While shows full 3G and 4G Koodo compatability at http://willmyphonework.net/, as well as with many other Canadian carriers.
that's what misled me before I bought it...
do you think keeping it and never calling *611 is possible?
(Edited)
Photo of Tiz

Tiz

• 4,604 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You can call 1-866-995-6636

BobTheElectrician

Maybe before bailing out, you could call Koodo as Tiz suggested, or better yet, drop by a Koodo boutique and have them try out your phone with a known-to-be-good store SIM. All they have to do is call *611 and your questions will be answered.

If the problem persists, you will still be stuck with the mobile data always on issue, probably because the only direct connection you seem to have to the mobile network is through the LTE Koodo/Bell bands according to the phonemore link above. Having mobile data only turned on accidentally could cause you bill problem$ eventually.

Personally, I would check out what an unlocked Verizon Note 4 sells for on Kijiji or eBay, sell it and get a 100% compatible device. Seems a shame to have such a nice handset and not to be able to use it properly.

PS: There are sometimes conflicting answers on these compatibility sites, but generally I would avoid Verizon gear for primary use in Canada. If you have to choose US equipment, AT&T compatible is a much better bet.

(Edited)
Photo of Jamba Gestalten

Jamba Gestalten

Tiz Vercelli,
unfortunately 1-866-995-6636 officially spends prepaid minutes, it is not free.

BobTheElectrician

You can call from a landline if you have access. No point in burning chargeable minutes on hold.
Photo of Tiz

Tiz

• 4,604 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Of course

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.