Walmart - $200 off tab for S5 Neo...or is it really?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Went in to Walmart to price out phones. The card that goes with the S5 Neo says $200 off tab + $175 gift card. The tab as it stands was $15/month x 24 months = $360 I asked the girl (seemed new) if that meant the tab was $160 then instead and she said no. She said the retail price of the phone was $560, $200 off meant $360 (as described above). 

I said if that's the case then what's the point of advertising that, for example, the Iphone 5s didn't offer anything off the tab but it was still $15/month x 24 months, the exact same yet the retail on the phone is $634. She couldn't explain it or comprehend it. So that's why i'm here.

Which way is it or what would be the best way to find out rather than going back and trying to talk to someone else.

Thanks
Photo of mike b

mike b

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of JeremyESQ

JeremyESQ

• 2,174 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The S5 Neo is $560 outright from Koodo, but $360 ($0 down and $15/month for 24 months) if you get it on Tab ... so that is the $200 savings. Wal-Mart is offering a $175 gift card as a promo, which is superior to the $50 gift that Koodo is offering. Great deal on a great phone! Remember, you can always pay off your Tab early!
Photo of mike b

mike b

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
So the 200 off is nothing and they shouldn't even mention it really. Or...on the iPhone 5s they should say $274 off the tab? 634 - 274 = 360?
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,828 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well it's an activation credit, and definitely not nothing. Would you prefer to be paying that extra 200$?

For the iPhone, they might have just not put out the save sticker or it fell off, etc. 
Photo of JeremyESQ

JeremyESQ

• 2,174 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Mike, they have to mention the $200 off with the Tab, otherwise, people who want to buy the phone outright would expect to pay $360+tax. For example, when I got my Moto X Play back in November, I thought I could pay the $360+tax outright and get the $100 gift that was being offered. Nope -- outright purchase would be $410+tax and no gift. To get the $50 activation credit and the $100 gift, I had to get the phone on Tab.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,064 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
After nearly one year of clearly separating phone purchase & financing from the new "simplified plans", seems the whole business model is drifting back to heavy subsidies for new phone purchases.

You now have to maintain a tab plan for a minimum of 90 days in order not to lose the incentives, which is fair enough. But let's not be too surprised when that slowly drifts upward to the point that we are now talking longer-term contracts.
Photo of Mathieu

Mathieu, Mobile Master

• 60,848 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bob, 90 days only apply to the tab plus and brand new customers. Existing customers on the regular tab can still pay off their tab right away and keep the incentive
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 62,064 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good to know.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.