Vote here to bring the BlackBerry KeyOne to Koodo!

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
I recently visited an unofficial KeyOne event where someone brought a few of the prototype phones to try out. It's everything I wanted from an android phone with a keyboard. It looks and feels amazing - would be great if Koodo carried this phone. You can find specs/details here, the battery life is ridiculous and it's a productivity monster. Vote if you agree :)

Photo of Lorin

Lorin

• 462 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • confident

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 100,350 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It's unlikely to happen. BlackBerry sells fewer than half a million devices per quarter. I would like to see it, given its battery life is supposed to be amazing but it's going to retail for 549USD, more than the dtek60 at launch. The primary brands Telus Rogers and Bell will be carrying it but the flanker brands likely will not. You may as well buy direct fr BlackBerry store since you don't get a discount from Koodo buying phones in general.
Photo of rikkster

rikkster, Mobile Master

• 68,940 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'll throw in a vote for good measure. However, Goran tells it like it is.
Photo of Lorin

Lorin

Telus just announced they will be bringing the phone to consumers as well - c'mon Koodo! https://forum.telus.com/t5/Ideas/Blackberry-Keyone-for-Telus-Personal-Customers/idi-p/72925
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Yes and Telus is larger and carries more phones. Koodo tries to shy away from low selling units. Again, as I said months ago, you're not going to get a subsidy, so may as well buy it direct. That way at least it comes unlocked.
Photo of Lorin

Lorin

I never said I wanted a subsidy - I always buy phones outright
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

No you did not, but I am at a loss as to why you want to buy it from Koodo? Unless you just wanted to see advantage of the tab system, but you said that you buy phones outright anyways.

Or you just want Koodo to carry it? Well they won't unfortunately because very few will be sold and Koodo doesn't like to carry low selling f phones.
Photo of Lorin

Lorin

I really don't understand why you're so confrontational and negative. I'm a Koodo customer so why shouldn't I be able to buy the phone from Koodo, it'd allow me to use 3rd party promotions such as PC Plus at The Mobile Shop - also, do you have any data to backup that it's low selling? It's the #1 phone on Amazon.com and TCL's president mentioned the extremely high demand as well.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,466 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The thing is Lorin, if Koodo starts selling every phone under the sun, they would have to charge the same prices as TELUS. I'd love a greater selection as well, more colors, more models, more memory options etc, but I know we can't have it all - lower prices AND more choice. So I settle with the lower prices.

I doubt very much that the "extremely high demand" is quite as literal as was mentioned there :)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Lorin,

There is a chance Koodo may carry the the Blackberry Keyone. I would follow Koodo's Facebook page just in case they do. However, it is unlikely now that Koodo will be one of the first carriers to launch the Keyone unless a lot of people requested it. But as the saying goes, "never say never."
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Confrontational? I'm not sure how I am but ok I'll look to be less so. As for negative, it's not a matter of hating or anything. I love bb10 and would like an updated and improved priv. The priv held the number one spot on a few sites for a while , but sales never broke half a million in total numbers from direct sales. Worldwide. Total sales never broke one million from what can be ascertained. And total sales quarter on quarter continued to drop. BlackBerry market share is down to below 0.1% worldwide. At the end of the day, demand is very limited.

I would also like BlackBerry to get support but from Koodo's business model it just doesn't make sense. Also here is official word from a rep:
"You are right David. No of those opinions represent Koodo. This is a forum where discussions will inevitably take place. If you are looking for official confirmation for that specific question the answer is 'B'. Why? Very limited demand and many alternate ways people buy their phones nowadays, not just through a carrier. " B references 'no.' Full context in the following link:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Koodo and other carriers generally only carry phones that are popular enough to increase their user base.

The larger carriers have a better chance of carrying it, but Blackberry doesn't generate enough interest to bother for the smaller ones.

That being said, I don't work for Koodo, so they may indeed pick it up. You'll have to wait and see, as they won't announce whether they will carry devices until there is an official announcement.