Voice-free Plans

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
Fairly priced plans that include data only, text only, or text and data. These would be great for the Deaf and those with hearing loss who can not use voice, and people who simply do not make phone calls. I know multiple people who have been searching for a good plan like this, and either cannot find it, or have to jump through hoops to get it.
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Chris Petersens

Chris Petersens

• 47,266 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
They have it on their prepiad plans. $15 a month gets you unlimited text. Yo ucan add data separately.

http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansand...
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

That's the exact opposite of what I was referring to. 1) Was not talking pre-paid (though, I know I didn't specify). 2) It still has voice. 3) You have to add data.

Here's an example of what I meant:

For $52 you get unlimited calls (plus all the frills of having them - like voicemail), unlimited texts, and 1gb.

If I didn't need calls, why not offer me unlimited texts and the data for the price of the $42 plan? Or, keep it at $52, and upgrade me to 2.5gb data?

*Edited to see that it DOES NOT have voice at $15. Sorry. The rest of my points still stand, though.
Photo of Chris Petersens

Chris Petersens

• 47,266 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The prepaid option I suggested has no voice. :-) Add 1GB of data for $30. Total price is $40 per month for $2 less than what you though. Yes, it's prepaid but why is that a concern? Sign up for a preauthorized payment and off you go, you don't even have to worry about topping up.

You also get voicemail, although the messages would have to retrived via a landline phone.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm all for a reasonable idea but please don't suggest unlimited data because it just won't happen. People who come here to suggest ideas they only seem to think about what *they* want and what *they* think is reasonable. To truly have an idea implemented, you need to look at it from every perspective and comprise so both sides are happy.
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

I never said anything about unlimited data.

I did say: "If I didn't need calls, why not offer me unlimited texts and the data for the price of the $42 plan?" This said "the data," which was referring to the 1gb offered in that particular plan.
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ah, ic. Be careful how you word things lol :P Easy mistake in such a sentence. None the less, my statement still applies as an overall general theme.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,890 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leslie,

Don't be quick to snuff Chris' suggestion. What you are asking is EXACTLY part of prepaid, let me show you:

On prepaid, $45 will get you unlimited international texting and 1GB of data, granted, that is $3 more than you referred to. But it has no voice so I'm not sure what you are talking about...

Nice idea but I don't think you'll see data only plans on Koodo anytime soon... that's more part of the Big Three. Still, here's to hoping and all suggestions are welcome :)
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

That is an interesting option, for sure. You are stuck with pre-paid, though. Which, for one thing, doesn't offer you a tab.
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 204,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Prepaid service is just as good as postpaid. Koodo doesn't pick on you just because you're not locked to a contract.

I agree on the stinks not having a tab part however. It'd be nice if koodo prepaid offered perks like some other prepaid carriers who shall remain nameless
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 144,890 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree with you there, Leslie! The Tab I can sort of understand why it's not offered, but I sure wish there was an International roaming add-on... especially USA.
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

Well, nice to see discrimination brushed off so easily. Yes. Discrimination. People who literally CANNOT use your voice services are demoted to pre-paid, where the same level of services are NOT offered.

And more part of the "Big Three?" Koodo is OWNED by Telus. Give me a break.
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,808 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Discrimination? Wow...I don't even.......what?

That is a ridiculous accusation. Discrimination?? Give me a break...

Koodo does not and will not offer data-only/text-only services. If you do not like it, seek service elseware.

Data/text only services are not high enough in demand as well as Koodo not selling tablets is any make or model.
Photo of KaneSlavik

KaneSlavik

• 6,464 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Leslie, please explain how it's discrimination. If you're going to accuse a business of discrimination, you can at least elabtorate on how Koood is discriminating. How would someone not be able to use Koodo's voice services when they offer Post paid AND Pre Paid services, both of which include voice calling.
Photo of Mayumi

Mayumi, Mobile Master

• 116,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
-"People who literally CANNOT use your voice services are demoted to pre-paid"

Demoted ? You could have the postpaid if you want. You might not get the postpaid account, but it's because of different reasons. "Cannot use voice services" is not a reason.
Photo of Timo Tuokkola

Timo Tuokkola, Mobile Master

• 143,366 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Koodo will provide you with service if you want, even if you are deaf. If you don't want their plan because it includes voice service you cant use, it's not Koodo that's guilty of discrimination, it's you.
Photo of Leslie Lambe

Leslie Lambe

Okay, no. No, this is NOT discrimination. And, really I should know better.

What it is, is frustrating. There are millions of people in Canada who are deaf or have hearing loss. Not to mention people with disabilities that would require other accommodation, and no one seems to want to develop an inclusive customer service policy that would allow these people accessible services. At least not without ripping them off somehow.

I think not having a customer accommodation/inclusion policy is a disservice. But then, having one might be a little too much like the "big three."
Photo of KaneSlavik

KaneSlavik

• 6,464 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So what is wrong with going the prepaid route then? Prepaid starts with with just text messaging. $15/month for just texting(along with the other included features) is the best that you are going to get, at least from a Koodo standpoint.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.