Voice activation phone finder

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hey there koodo! If your customers are anything like me then they are always losing your phone. What if I told you that my idea was when ever you lose your phone you could simply say a phrase that you have chosen such as "here phone" or "where's my phone?" And the phone would voice recognize that you have lost you phone and would virtually yell back to you and say "here I am!"

My second idea is a two piece sensor where one piece goes into your head phone jack and the other piece on your key chain; that way weather you lose your phone or your keys it will tell you where one or the other is either threw screen display or beeps
Photo of Dalaura Dawn GLubrecht

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Tadpole McIntyre

Tadpole McIntyre

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
These are great ideas, Would make life a lot easier for me too.

Maybe we could have a computer app that will locate the phone too, for when we're home...

:)
Photo of Ahmad

Ahmad

• 96,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey there koodo! If your customers are anything like me then they are always losing your phone. What if I told you that my idea was when ever you lose your phone you could simply say a phrase that you have chosen such as "here phone" or "where's my phone?" And the phone would voice recognize that you have lost you phone and would virtually yell back to you and say "here I am!"

I would take this suggestion to the actual phone manufactuers. Koodo is limited as remember, they DO NOT make the phones. The max Koodo could do is build an app, which may not even be able to do what you ask. But this is IMHO would be a huge waste of time and resources for Koodo... if they even could.

"My second idea is a two piece sensor where one piece goes into your head phone jack and the other piece on your key chain; that way weather you lose your phone or your keys it will tell you where one or the other is either threw screen display or beep"

A product like this already exists on the market.

Tadpole McIntyre

They do have a tracking device but its $70 and you have to subscribe to the service monthly... That's the only one I know of.
If Koodo made an app and it worked it would be nice. Since the phones they have are already capable of "listening" we know it's possible and fairly easy to implement.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

• 442 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Easy to implement? Right. Lets ignore building a functional and large scale stack (database clusters, dedicated servers and allot of other things). There are bunch of free apps that are fremium but still offer basic functions such as gps locating and ringing for guess what "free".

I don't get this suggestions asking for tracking features or phone finders from a carrier. Separate companies make apps for this stuff not carriers, there role is not to aid you in finding you're phone lost in your house or something along those tracks. Every major operating system has either stock tracking suit free of charge or a premium app that cost $49/yr not $70.

Tadpole McIntyre

The set is $70 for the attachment to stick to the phone to find it.. Then the monthly subscription. That's so you can track it in your house or away from your house.

At least if there was a place on the site that would have your phone make noise for you... Or a "call me" service for the missing phone
Not sure what you live in but where I am, a household is well big enough to lose a phone in.

Why on Earth would we need dedicated servers for anapp on the phone? Or website that you can enter your number into? I know there are already those... But they don't work and distribute your number all over the place.

Maybe you just don't understand what I mean because you're acting like its a whole new massive undertaking..... But yes indeed it would be very easy to implement.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

How do you think apps work? The run on front-end (phone/browser) and back-end (server). How else does the app know you lost you're phone? Does it have a mind of its own? Nope. You press a button in a dashboard/control panel and that sends a request assuming there is data available to the phone. There are also push notifications which work slightly differently on iPhone.

I know about the small sticker like things or small trackers you put on key chains most used by people who forget were there car keys at. Now this guys want's the phone to respond and guess what voice recognition requires data and server to put voice into a command your phone can understand. How do you think Siri or Cortana work. Do you think they have entire database of words, nope. Even if its a single word like "Here boy". It would still need to analyze what you said since lets say your not native English speaking and may have an accent of sorts, and for fact you must have seen how smart voice recognition is on in car GPS. So that is why you would need servers to process voice string and decipher it to get a proper command. Unless you do it shitty way and the phone will have no clue most of the time.

Tadpole McIntyre

Why the fits?
Did you even read the comment?
How is it supposed to know they phone is lost you ask?? I already said you would do online and push a stupid button.
If you're not going to read or understand what I write you can't really reply with a rant because it doesn't make sense and is damned redundant.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

I read the original OP mate. Plus your original comment which I read had jack **** about pushing buttons. Also what fits? Are you talking about?

Tadpole McIntyre

Also any decent phone already has voice recognition and I wasn't talking about that to start with.
I've never had car gps because I can navigate the roads myself like people used to do. It's quite easy.
I also don't speak to the phone.... I don't use siri... The point I'd to have options as we aren't all exactly the same.
If we never come up with new ideas and always do the same thing we never innovate or gain anything. We'd still be in caves. Working together is better than taking fits and thinking every idea is automatically impossible or just shit.

Tadpole McIntyre

I said to go online to tell it to signal you. Why can't you see that part?

Tadpole McIntyre

Maybe I misinterpreted the way you wrote to seem more standoffish than intended.

Tadpole McIntyre

The app I was talking about would make your phone ring or something from you going online to send it.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

Look phone recognition one phones is limited. Most phones voice recognition is extended with Data. Were the app communicates with a server. I'm a computer programmer mate and I know what I'm talking about. GPS such as Garmin and TomTom have voice recognition were you speak the address, sadly this again is limiting. Reason Siri and Cortana are so good is because they use backend (servers) to decode voice input and analyze it to properly understand what someone is saying. That what original op was about. Literally yelling "Here boy" and having your phone barking to alert you of were it is. Assuming your phone can process "Here boy". Ye it can be easily done by recording your own phrase and then having your phone match that. I never said its impossible, but dedicated back-end makes it easier for people with a thick accent.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

The app I was talking about would make your phone ring or something from you going online to send it.
Already done with out of the box free tools by Apple, Android, BB OS7/10 and Window Phone :). But again you can make an app and simply have a voice command of say "Here boy" that you recorded. Problem is mic is not always active even on Android. And if you keep that active you run into security problems if someone finds ability to infiltrate your app via malware (Android attack). This way there is no need to send a command from online. This can also be done by sending a text message to you're phone with a catch phrase. You know how you send STOP to the premium numbers?

Tadpole McIntyre

I'm kinda out of the voice recognition loop because I have nasal polyps. Phone only understands me if I'm taking a heap of prednisone. I hate siri on the grounds of it not dispensing certain info. I'm female... :p
Didn't mean to sound like an a$$hole. Just had a few trolls lately...
Photo of 29x9

29x9

Don't worry about it. I'm a bigger @sshole, and I don't get offended easily. But again this is bit older tech in the days were data was no available back in the days when Nokia was popular. You could find your phone by sending text messages to it with commands. I know stuff like this exists in Avast and other anti-virus suits on Android were you set a trusted number which you can use to activate variety of security features on the phone from ringing it to wiping it with trusted/registered 2nd phone number and app specific commands.

Tadpole McIntyre

Is there a particular app that's good for that? Going online and telling it to find when it's missing? I've lost it in a bad way a few times recently.
Photo of 29x9

29x9

It matters on you're phones operating system. The stock apps are ok. BlackBerry Protect for BB OS7 and 10. Android Device Manager for Android or Avast/Lookout (Android as well). And as always iCloud + Find my Phone on Apple.

Tadpole McIntyre

Hahaa I forgot that... Kindof a major thing... I have a nexus 4... :p I'll look some stuff up for locator apps... Unless I lose my phone in the other room first. :p
Photo of 29x9

29x9

Ah. I suggest you take a peak at Lookout then. I used it for years for my Android phones and tablets. There premium plan is $3 USD/mon which is about $49/yr CAD. But the premium allows you to backup call history and photos. Photos is kind of pointless as latest Android version's already allow you to backup this stuff to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, but current Device Manager still does not allow you to do some nifty stuff like have your phone take a pic of intruder or thief :).

Tadpole McIntyre

I'm getting it now... Pictures aren't much issue for me or any backup stuff... I really hate google forced things as they are these days... Use one thing... Sign up for 10. :p but oh well.
The screaming phone thing should be great for me. I only lose it at home. Its in my purse safely when out. The only issue is that the phone goes black and won't shut off or turn on!! Hahaa but that's another lollipop thing. I'm often stuck alone without a car and when I lose the phone I nearly have a fit. Health issues... Could need it in a hurry...
Photo of 29x9

29x9

You are mostly welcomed. But as I said Lookout has some nifty "just in-case" features that are not offered by default Google app. The fact that it sends a dying flare before the battery dies is pretty cool and helps saving last known location of the phone, until its powered back up :) And come one how awesome is it to take pics of thief's from front cam and having it send to you via email :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.