Using data on unlocked blackberry torch 9800

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: *611 or 1-866-995-6636 mentions

I just unlocked 3 blackberry 9800 torches and switched from Rogers to Koodo. All of them work when it comes to texting and phone calls. None of them work though using the internet and the BBM network. On the browser I get the message "Your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the browser on your device." I fiddled with the APN settings but I don't think it helped, just need someone to walk me through the solution whatever it is. I'll call tech support as well I suppose.

Thanks a lot.
Photo of Adam Farquharson

Adam Farquharson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Daniel Kim

Daniel Kim, Mobile Master

• 34,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
for bb devices before bb 10 you need a data plan to access bbm network.
Photo of Adam Farquharson

Adam Farquharson

Okay. As in the data plan where you pay as you use it, that doesnt count?

And does that apply to the internet browser as well?
Photo of Daniel Kim

Daniel Kim, Mobile Master

• 34,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm not too sure about flex data, but I think you would need a plan with included data. internet browser should work however, try going into browser settings and changing the browser
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
First you'll need to make sure you either have a data bucket plan with the (BB) version, or you can opt for flex/pay-per-use data on a Talk and Text plan as long as the BB Data access add-on is enabled.

Then what you'll need to do is update the service books by going to Settings > Device > Advanced > Host routing table. Hit the BlackBerry button and select register now. Phone should reboot, but if not, do it manually. See if you can access data after that.

Please keep us updated!
Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Pay-per-use data is already included in the Talk and Text plans, but what you'll need to do is make sure you have the BB data access add-on for it to work. Try that first.
Photo of I M

I M

Thanks for replying. I added the BB data access add-on a few days ago and it's still not working. Any ideas?
Photo of Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox

• 50,798 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table. Press the BB button and select "Register Now."

"Registration message sent" should be displayed. Pull the battery out of the phone and the SIM card for a minute, put them both back in then power up the phone. There should be a notification that says something along the lines of "your device is registered on the wireless network." If you see that, try to browse.
Photo of I M

I M

Thanks I'll try that. This won't change/erase anything on my phone right?
Photo of Leanne Stredwick

Leanne Stredwick

So, does that mean that the $45 plan that I just activated today that includes 200mb of data does not allow me to use bbm?
Photo of Myke

Myke

• 45,090 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This also means that BBM is no longer unlimited.

Leanne Stredwick

So, Jonathan, is that a yes? My plan was to go into the store where I got my plan and be a bit more direct with my questioning. I was not told anything of the kind when I signed up.... makes me question why I went with a company that is not upfront with the costs associated. I specifically asked for bbm access and was told, this data package will be fine.
Photo of Ry

Ry

• 5,552 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The BB version of the plan is the same price. Sometimes mistakes happened. It happened with me when I ordered a 9360 from Koodo, and they activated it on the non-bb plan. A quick call to 611 will clear it up at no charge.

Leanne Stredwick

I hope so, Ry
Photo of Ry

Ry

• 5,552 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Sounds like you are an ex-bell customer. I know how you feel :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.