US Roaming Talk and Text Not Working for BlackBerry Torch (9800)

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Question: Does anyone knows how to activate the US Roaming for BlackBerry 9800 (Torch) for US Text Roaming? Or, is US Text Roaming even available with the BlackBerry Torch.

My BlackBerry 9800 works in Canada for a voice and text messaging. Data is not available for the BB 9800.

I have the US Roaming Text Booster and the US Roaming Talk Booster offered through Koodo (Pre-Paid Plan).

My Data Service is ön", Roaming is ön". I am linked with AT&T 3G, but only for emergency services. I have turned the phone off and restarted, turned off and removed the battery and restarted, and turned off removed the battery and removed the SIM card and restarted. None have succeeded in activating the service.

I have manually selected a network - only AT&T 3G lists as a potential network. However, when I select AT&T a "pop up” message lists that it will only be for emergency services.

I am currently outside of Phoenix, Arizona.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would be good to know from Koodo whether or not the USA Text and Voice Roaming will even work with a BlackBerry Torch (9800).

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
Photo of John D R Landis

John D R Landis

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated!!

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 103,604 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your BB will on 4G network only. So if that area is under 4G only, then it won't work and you will get Emergency call.
Photo of John D R Landis

John D R Landis

Hi Robert. Thanks for the prompt response, but a little confused with your first sentence. Did you mean to say that the US Talk and Text Roaming will work only on a 4G network (not 3G)?

My BlackBerry Torch can only access 2G and 3G. The AT&T Network supports 4G (my father-in-laws Acer works with an AT&T 4G network connection). I get only the AT&T 3G Network option (with emergency services only). I assumed it made sense that I'd get only the 3G option as that's all my BlackBerry can handle. Short answer - am I out of luck because I need at least a 4G capable smart phone? Thanks again!
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 90,476 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You shouldn't be out of luck for that reason. This is a tough one. Can you maybe check if another sim card would work on your phone? Do you hace international voice and data roaming added in self-serve in add-ons?
Photo of John D R Landis

John D R Landis

As per my initial question I have the US Text Booster and US Talk Booster that were offered through Koodo. I do not have data as it does not work with the BlackBerry 9800. I can text in Canada without a data plan. I suppose I could see about getting another SIM card to try but wonder why that would actually help and whether it would be worth the cost.

Doesn't Koodo have some specs listed somewhere as to what the devices and what the minimal requirements that may be required for a service to work - for example, what is the lowest Network level in the US that allows for the use of the voice and text roaming - 2G, 3G, 4G??
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 32,732 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
AT&T does support 3G on 850 and 1900. They shutdown 2G network only https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1069631

"As of January 1, 2017, AT&T uses a GSM based network operating on the following frequencies/bands:
  • 3G WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+ - 850/1900MHz Bands 2 & 5 (minimum requirement for nationwide service)
  • 4G LTE –700/850/1900/1700/2100/2300MHz Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29, 30, 40, 66

The 2G GSM 850/1900MHz network was sunset as of December 31, 2016; therefore, devices with these specs no longer operate on AT&T’s network."

I am not familiar with prepaid and roaming with prepaid. However, I think you can try to set your BB network mode to automatic and see if it can pick up signal. Have you also tried to test the phone on other locations? Also, try to reset network settings, and see if it can work.
(Edited)
Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You also mentioned you're outside of Phoenix Arizona, you should try to do a manual scan for available networks and try another one. Service providers outside of the city can be a crapshoot.

Also, where did you get your torch? I don't recall Koodo ever selling one. There may be an issue with the device itself if it was a originally an AT&T phone. Just a far hypothesis but is it possible the device has an unpaid AT&T Bill attached to it and that might be why it's not working. Have you ever been able to get service with it in the USA?
(Edited)