unlocked wireless home phone hub WF721

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Can I go to the Koodo store with the IMEI from an unlocked wireless home phone hub WF721, and purchase a SIM, and set up a Koodo home phone service?
Photo of Norm

Norm

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Chadwick

Chadwick, Mobile Master

• 33,072 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Norm

Norm

I went to the local Koodo store. I was told by a Koodo support person an unlocked WF721 will not work.... Yet I am able to put my friends sim in my unlocked hub, and it works. Who do I contact to resolve this / my next step? 
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 75,648 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There is a difference Norm. At least in the way we provision mobile phones vs. a hub like this. So, our systems at the stores are not set up to activate a BYOD (bring your own) hub. There is just simply not enough demand for setting up a process to make this happen as most people just buy the very inexpensive unit from the carrier of their choice along with a SIM. I hop e this explains things. 
Photo of Norm

Norm

Yes, thank you Bernard. Your answer explains how I am able to use it, but your Point of Sale software is not set up to accept BYOD.

I am surprised though, that Telus/Koodo which I believed were leaders in their field are falling down on environmental/social issues. It is not that the hub is inexpensive as you say, it is the trend to toss good working equipment away, and replace it with the exact same piece of equipment.

I had believed your company would be a leader in the reduce, reuse, recycle thought. So how do I "choose happy" with a company that does not consider this issue important? 

Once again, that you for your help.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

Fair point Norm. That said it doesn't have to be tossed out of course. It can be used with whomever the original provider is. Of course that means we loose out on additional business with you which I do regret. To be honest these things should not be locked the first place. Why the OEM decided to do that I'm unsure. Locking mobile phones that a thousand dollars make sense given the often high subsidy carriers give to customers. But for an item like this it's a questionable approach. 
Photo of coppertop

coppertop

• 60 Points
To the official Koodo rep.  Locking of devices is something carriers ask for...not manufacturers.  Blaming your vendors for your own "questionable approach" is classless.  
(Edited)
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

Indeed locks are asked for by providers. Not many of them would like to see  $1,000+ devices walk without fully paid for. When I said "these things" I was referencing the hub itself. An inexpensive piece. 

The questionable approach was a self imposed question to our own processes. If that's classless, well, be it. :-) 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.