U.S. Roaming Add-Ons Gone?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

As of the last few days, the old U.S. roaming add-ons are gone from the website (e.g. text 10ALL to 4545). Are they gone for good? Or can I still use them? The new Easy Roam U.S. seems like it's likely to cost me more money on my trip.
Photo of jason2014

jason2014

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,830 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The old add-ons are gone. All that is available from Koodo now is EasyRoam and the pay per use rates.
Photo of debbie

debbie

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Although the add ons appear to be gone...they are not! I called today and had the $45 unlimited monthly talk and text package added to start at the end of this month. Good thing I called. I was going to change providers!
Photo of kf

kf

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
did you have to pay an extra $10 for calling?
Photo of debbie

debbie

Not that I am aware of. It was no problem at all. They acted like they had no intention of eliminating the add on. Just the option to add from your phone yourself. Makes no sense to me but as long as I can still get them I'm happy. $45.00 unlimited US and Canada talk and Text also, I go to the US for the winter. I am able to reduce my plan at home to the lowest level while I'm away. Its a win, win!
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 94,544 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We have found out that is being done for now when calling in. We are waiting on official policy to see what the final options will be.
Photo of Brian W.

Brian W.

• 72 Points
Reply to Debbie.  I just found out that you DO NEED TO PAY THE $10 over and above the "$45 unlimited US and Canada talk and text" add-on for calls to the US. That was not my understanding when I added the - 3 day, and later the 30 day add-on ($20 & $45). I was charged an additional $44 for calls to the U.S. Koodo has removed the old U.S. add-on so I could not re-read the details. ???The add-on should have read "A Canadian calling in the U.S." I guess
Photo of Joanna Parkin

Joanna Parkin

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too am unhappy about the new easy roam package to the us...I will be away for 3 months and so would not use that ..So ..I have to call and get the $45 for 30 days ? Each month ?
And there is a $10 extra charge ??
Photo of debbie

debbie

From the conversation I had with them I believe you can book the pkg. for the whole 3 months in the one call. Also I don't think they add on the $10.00 extra charge. They shouldn't since there is no other way of adding this package on now.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

If you're going to be gone for 3 months then I suggest either Roam Mobility or Mint Mobile. You can buy 3 months of unlimited talk text and 2gb atm for 45USD total from them and there's higher data for 5-10 a month more. I believe 10gb is currently 25 a month?
Photo of debbie

debbie

I have purchased the Roam Mobility Talk, Text and Data 3 month Snowbird pkg. for my husband. You can't beat it for the price. Includes unlimited data. The problem again is the U.S. number. I will keep my Kodoo Cdn. number and add the text and talk pkg. This way my husband and I can communicate if separated, all my family and friends can call and text my Cdn. number. My US friends call my husbands number and don't get long distance charges and we can call businesses and services in the US and they actually call you back because its a US number and not long distance. Yes, this costs us about $90.00 cdn. a month but worth it to us to have the convenience of both phones. both numbers and unlimited data.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

You can use Fongo or Text now to get a Canadian number and use data / WiFi as well if you cannot use services to communicate.
Photo of Joanna Parkin

Joanna Parkin

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can I purchase a 3 month roaming mobility pkg for just unlimited text and talk ..no data...as I did before on the roaming pkg ($45/30days) ??
And can I keep my Canadian no ??
Thank you...
Photo of debbie

debbie

Yes you can. I just did yesterday. Call them.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Of course you can call Roam Mobility...or do you mean via Koodo?

You definitely keep your Canadian number if you want to.
Photo of debbie

debbie

I was talking about Koodo. Talk and Text $45 cdn, for 30 days. Keep your Canadian number. Call them! 
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Joanna asked.

Also you don't have to leave Koodo to use Fongo or any other VoIP service that gives you a Canadian number. I do it regularly.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 38,122 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I thought the EaseRoam would save you more than the previous addon. $7/1day vs $40/4days and you could use your minutes and data from your plan as you were in Canada.
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,830 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It doesn't save on ones like the $15 for 7 days of unlimited texting or whatever price it was.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

• 4,356 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hey to All,

Easy-Roam is designed  for a convenience and not for savings. At least that's what I think.
Photo of jason2014

jason2014

$40 actually got you 10 days of unlimited calling and texting plus 250Mb of data. So, if you use your phone every day for 10 days with the new option, that's $70, not $40, an increase of 75%. And unless I'm mistaken, if you send a single text each day for 10 days, you will pay $70 to send 10 texts. Not exactly designed with the customer in mind. But hey, they called it Easy Roam, so it must make your life better.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

@jason2014: True, it is not working for you in your case. Maybe Koodo should bring back few other options beside easy roam.

If a user travels to US in intermittent short trips, 3,4 days then back, and then go again, then easyroam is good, they don't have to be restricted by 10days period. I also got 5GB of data/month, using data from that bucket is better than 250MB/10days.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,588 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
if you send a single text each day for 10 days, you will pay $70 to send 10 texts

But if you only send a few texts, then don't use EasyRoam, just use pay-per-use of $5 for 100 texts.
Photo of jason2014

jason2014

That was just a hypothetical worst case scenario. My point is, there are a lot of situations where the $7/day ends up more expensive. So, I'm not sold on them. You don't always know when you'll need data or air time. I say, bring back the packages.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

Koodo properly will, Telus has several packages beside easy roam. Competitors also separated various roaming packages. Fido  has FidoPulse plans(with fido roam) and normal plan (without fidoroam).
Photo of q

q

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
"Competitor"
Photo of Ed Prior

Ed Prior

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Freaking perfect.  I was going to the States for 3 weeks, and the $75 - 30ALL package would have worked well.  Now it will be $147 - almost double!.

Time to shop mobile carriers again, me thinks.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

There is a maximum amount it comes to per billing cycle. It comes to 100 dollars per billing cycle
(Edited)
Photo of Ed Prior

Ed Prior

Thanks, Goran - I did not appreciate how the cap worked.  Considering that my trip spans a billing cycle this doesn't help me much.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

Get a local sim and if you need a Canadian number then get a decent data plan and use VoIP such as Fongo that provides you a Canadian number for free and you can make and receive calls at a much lower rate.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

I think Koodo should make the transition from/to easyroam and payperuse easier. So for some people, when they don't need a lot of activities, they could turn on payperuse, and when they need voice/text/data they will switch to easyroam.

Rightnow, the adding and removal is still buggy as per some previous posts
Photo of Danielle WP

Danielle WP

I was just going to get the plan for a month in the US $45 for a month now i will be paying $210 or even a max of $100  ( i will have 2 billing cycles so $200 instead of $45.... I am not happy.  Please explain this new change ( I only phone, no data  needed but I use the phone a few minutes nearly every day.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

It's a roaming option that's been pushed for Koodo to adopt for quite some time as it seems to be popular with everyone else doing it.

I suggest doing as what I said earlier above then since you'll end up spending far less than 200 and probably less than 45 even.
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,588 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You could consider a switch to prepaid for the duration of your trip, if keeping your Canadian number during your trip is important. Else, Goran's suggestion of an offshore SIM has merit.

Photo of Danielle WP

Danielle WP

Goran Mobile master, since you think I will spend less, do I send you the bill for anyting over $45??? I need to keep my canadian number and what is Local if I change areas frequently?
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

No need to be rude, Danielle person.

Did you come here just to vent or for assistance?
You can easily get a nationwide prepaid plan in the US so you don't worry about local calling areas. And it's an extremely rare case where you need to keep your exact number for use in the states and cannot get by with a temporary different number for people who need to call you from Canada or for you to call Canada. Or you can opt for Roam Mobility as they have daily rates and monthly plans. For example, 40 bucks gets you unlimited talk to us and CAN numbers, global texting, and 1gb data for 30 days. And use Fongo via data for the odd time you need to receive a call from someone in Canada. T-Mobile now offers a tourist sim with 1000 minutes, unlimited text, and 2gb data for a 3 week period for 30usd. There's so many options for much less that will meet your requirements.
(Edited)
Photo of Danielle WP

Danielle WP

Not rude, frustrated.  I am going from texting a few digits  on my phone (so easy) to searching/finding / comparing /applying for a new plan that will meet all the my needs.  Gone the ease.  Thanks.
Photo of Ed Prior

Ed Prior

@Goran:  Excellent information.  I was going to go with a T-Mobile tourist SIM ($30US for 21 days), but did not realize that Roam now has a monthly plan for $40CAD that will suit me perfectly.  

@Bernard:  Your point is well taken that the previous top ups were very limited, but who wants to be in the middle of a call worrying about whether it's covered (easy-roam on), or $1.50 per minute (easy-roam off).  The previous plan worked well for me (and apparently others), and to be blunt:  "it's all about me".

I recently got back from a week in Belgium with NO roaming plan.  Left the phone in airplane mode with WiFi on and used Hangouts when I wanted to call home.  Without mobile net I actually had to talk to people to ask directions, which was part of the fun.
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 78,076 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Most are not as well versed with their mobile know-how as you are Ed. :-) Glad you went analog for directions. :-) Much more human. 
Photo of Bernard

Bernard, Official Rep

• 78,076 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
@Ed, Jason, Easy Roam can be turned on and off any time you wish. As some folks suggested if you are barely going to use your phone just go the pay-per-use route. Now, both of you are on plans with a healthy amount of data. Roaming data is what people were asking for as the add-ons previously had limited amount included. Neither of you have gotten even close to use all the data in your monthly bucket. You can now go to the states, and on the days when you want it, you can dip into your unused data portion. You can make calls, message, use the internet with practically no worry that you end up with a large bill upon your return. 
Photo of debbie

debbie

I spend a significant amount of time in the U.S. This new plan does not work for me at all. I need to keep my Canadian number while I am there. If I use my unlocked phone and a US sim all my family and friends will incur long distance charges on their cell phones. I spend most of the winter down south. $7 dollars a day is ridiculous! I would be spending over $200 a month plus the cost of my plan. I have been a loyal client for years but unfortunately will now be switching to a different provider. I am sure you will be loosing many clients as soon as the Canadian snowbirds start heading south!
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 91,508 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is capped at $100 per billing cycle, but I can see how it might be expensive for long stays.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,498 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There’s no one-size-fits all solution.

For long-term US stays, consider moving to Koodo prepaid if you are a light user. You buy and use the minutes/data you need. Binge one month and then go silent for a bit... your boosters don’t expire. Contacts still reach you at the same number without long-distance charges.

Longer-term heavy use, port your Koodo number to a low-cost VoIP service that can forward your calls to your temporary US number. Choose a provider like Tracfone that includes free long distance to Canada. Advantage: you have a local US number as well as your Canadian number that can be reached without long-distance charges. Back to Koodo when you return to Canada

The Easy Roam option is a good fit for more intense use a few days at a time. Consider also that under the old plans, you were paying a hidden cost for Canadian minutes & data that you could not use while in the US or overseas as well as the limited pool provided under the bundle.
Photo of debbie

debbie

So why didn't they keep the old system and implement the new system as well for those who prefer and need it. The 7 dollars a day is ridiculously expensive. Seems like a big money grab to me. I will be changing providers. I guarantee a lot of people will.
Photo of debbie

debbie

Virgin Mobile has a $40.00 a month unlimited text, 200min. calling and some data. I will hate to switch but Koodo has left me no other option.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,482 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
The other providers which have Easy Roam equivalents are basically the same, with the exception of Rogers/Fido, which is $5 per day. All roaming solutions are capped at $100 per billing cycle though, as per the CRTC rules.
(Edited)
Photo of debbie

debbie

Virgin Mobile offers $5 per day. They also offer unlimited texting, 100min, voice and 200mb of data while travelling for $40.00 per month. I don't understand why Koodo would be charging $2 more per day as well as discontinuing the other travel options.Looks like I will be switching to Virgin.  
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 37,532 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Fido increased it to $6/day on fido pulse plan, and virgin mobile charged $5 for plans that has unlimited calling in canada with only 100MB data. They are not always rosy but work with their pricing structure.

With the current pricing and Telus addon structure for roaming & pricing, I believe Koodo should allow more add-on options.
Photo of Cory

Cory

• 10,482 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Ah ok. There you go. Only $1 difference.

They are going with the “please the majority” idea.
All the other carriers are coming out with easy roaming systems, and Koodo is trying to stay competitive. There are far more people that wanted this option, than those who didn’t, I’m willing to bet.
Photo of Brian W.

Brian W.

• 72 Points
I am not happy with this $7/day-$100/month verses $20/3 day - $45/month. Some option should be offered for at least the 7-30 day period. And a caution to 'once it's activated it stays activated'.
Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

Hi to All,

No one is talking about Public Mobile. They have competitive roaming add-ons. I would say very competitive comparing to others. If roaming is a big deal for some folks at least they would stay in the same Telus family.
Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 37,532 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Indeed, but that would work for US travelers only, and prepaid, no tab.

Photo of Jan Hope

Jan Hope

@Azure123

I am talking about Users that have already phones (even locked to Koodo) and they want to switch to Virgin or Fido, for example. Without unlocking the phone they can easily transition to Public Mobile. PM is fully prepaid cheaper version of Koodo without ability to talk to Customer Service Representatives. They encourage Folks here on Koodo to do almost everything on self-serve, as well.
Photo of Michel de Breyne

Michel de Breyne

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have to agree with some of the other posters saying that IMO, EasyRoam is a disappointment.  I was hoping to a price competitive with RogersRoamLikeHome ($6/day, capped at $60/month - even that is starting to be borderline too much).  

Between EasyRoam and the previous US Roaming Add-ons, I prefer the add-ons so I hope those can still be used (not on the website but someone said they still were).
Photo of debbie

debbie

I was able to call Koodo and they have given me the add on for the month. $45 for talk and text US and Canada. You can not add it directly from your phone unfortunately. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.