What should I add to my account to text in Europe?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No longer valid due to Easy Roam

I'm going to Europe for the summer, and I did find that in order to text and call it's a 2$/month add on in order to do that?
Does this cover all texts or is there still per text cost?
Thanks!
Photo of Baylie Gigolyk

Baylie Gigolyk

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 109,170 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Baylie.

You don't need to pay the 2$ extra. This is only if you want to get better rates if you cal from Canada to international. The only thing you need is the free add-on that you can add easily through self-serve

International Voice Roaming < The free add-on I was talking about.

Considering it's zone 1, you'll be charged according to this picture.

I suggest unlocking the phone via a 3rd party and then buy a SIM in Europe. Much more advatageous since Koodo doesn't offer travel plans!
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

• 44,018 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Robert, the $2 "LD Saver" is needed. Thank you!
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

Is it really? Why? I went in mexico without this feature and it worked.
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

It's odd, unless you have a CDMA phones (no SIM card) that has automatic roaming in Mexico. HSPA phones (with a SIM card) would normally need the LD Saver to work there!
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

Well. I have an iPhone 5 (nano SIM). And before adding the International Voice Roaming feature, it didn't work in Cuba. Now I went in Mexico after I added this and it worked. From what I understand, LD Saver is only for when you make call from Canda to International. So why would I need to pay 2$ for something that I wouldn't even use considering the fact that I am NOT in Canada? If it's really obligatory in order for the phone to function normally. Then, something doesn't make sense.
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

That's how our system is made, Robert. Without the $2 feature, you shouldn't be able to dial international numbers while abroad (note that it allows you to dial international numbers from Canada as well). The "International Voice Roaming" will set the proper billing rates according to the visiting area and will send the welcome SMS. My guess is it worked for you since you were still in North America.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

Cuba didn't work and it was a CDMA phone a year ago. (I didn't have the International Voice Roaing)

Also, you are telling me that in order to travel in Europe I would have to pay 2$ so I can call? But would I still be able to send texts and use my phone GPS or I need to pay 2$ in order for that to work?
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

Cuba is a different story. CDMA phones don't work there and could only roam in a few countries (Bahamas, Bermuda, China, Dominican Republic, Guam, Hong Kong, Israel, Jamaica, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Taiwan, Venezuela, Virgin Islands..).

The $2 feature will allow talk and text. As GPS would use data, you would need to add the "International Data Roaming" feature.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

It's a bought GPS that doesn't use data : TomTom for exemple. Therefore, if I don't want to use data, talk or text and only the GPS. I would need to pay 2$?
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

If you're using the maps saved in the GPS and connect it by Bluetooth to your phone, you wouldn't need to get access to our network and therefore you won't need the $2 feature nor the free ones. As long as your phone is not connected to a network, you won't be charged.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

Oh, sorry. I meant bought on the phone. TomTom for iOs. This is what all this was about. Sorry for not mentionning, I thought it was clear when I stated that I'd want to use my phone in the trip. My fault!

PS : Thanks for your time Yannick
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

No problem! The TomTom app can indeed work offline, without using data. The maps will simply be stored in your phone. You can connect to a Wifi network for updates and to avoid using our partner's network and roaming charges. Therefore, you won't need the romaing features!
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

How will I be geo-localised if I get no network once in Europe? Because last time I went there, I had no network at all and I suppose that's because I didn't have the add-on.
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

You can only be geo-localised if you're online. Without the roaming Add-on, your phone won't be able to connect to our partner's network abroad and your only option would be to use Wifi.
Photo of Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix

• 15,752 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's right. In order to get the International Voice Roaming, you must have the $2 International Dialing Saver as well as meet a few requirements(good payment history for 6 months I believe) and not on the spending cap program. I'm not sure what you mean by geo-localized.
Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

Should I start a new topic?

@Marcus : You say I need the LD saver in order to have the International Voice Roaming (IVR)? But I have IVR without having the LD saver feature (2$). I think something is wrong.

@Yannick : You are talking about the ROAMING feaure. So I would be able to be online (connected to a network) without having the LD Saver and only IVR? In other words, I could go in europe without the LD Saver add-on and use my GPS but I would'n be able to make calls?
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

No. In order to be connected to a network for data (non-wifi), even if you don't plan on making calls, you must add the 3 roaming features. The $2 feature actually allows you to connect to a network, whether it is for call, text or data. The other two features are added in order to set the rates.
Photo of Yannick

Yannick

Hi Baylie, you must add the $2 "LD Saver" feature as well as the free "International Voice Roaming" Add-on if you want to use your phone in Europe. You can add both of them online via your Sefl Serve account. Enjoy your trip!

John Lee

• 36,724 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To be honest, if you are going abroad for the whole summer, it might be cost-efficient to purchase a prepaid sim card in Europe and use their service.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.