Travelling to China for 4 months

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,
I am going to be living in mainland China for a 4 month exchange from this February to end of May. I just paid for an iPhone 5 SE with Koodo and have been with the company for around 4 years before that. I am aware that I have to unlock my phone from Koodo and get a new sim card while in China. However I was wondering what the policy is on keeping my plan, phone number, etc. for when I come back to Canada with Koodo.

Thank you so much!
Photo of Joseita Tesolin

Joseita Tesolin

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,634 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
To keep your phone number, you need to place your plan on seasonal hold ($15/month + monthly tab payment if you have one). If you have a plan that is no longer offered, then you won't be able to get it back. Once you return, you have to select from the plan offers that are available then.

Conversely, you can port out your number to a VoIP service like Fongo for a fee. You can call Canada for free with their app over @WiFi while in China. Upon your return, you can port back the number to Koodo.

Please remember not to cancel your account before porting as you'll lose your number. The porting will cancel your account. You're automatically billed for your final month plus any tab balance you may owe.

Enjoy your China experience.
Photo of Joseita Tesolin

Joseita Tesolin

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you!
I'm wondering if you know how long before leaving I should place my phone on hold or port out my number. Also, if I decide to port my number, do I have to let Koodo know?
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 66,696 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you port out your number, everything is handled by your new provider. Don't contact your current supplier. If they cancel the number prematurely, you will lose it. When you should port depends on how long it takes for the new provider to execute it, since during the intervening period you may have a period of no service at all on incoming calls.

Some background and choices:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/i-will-be-out-of-the-country-for-4-months-what-are-my...