Travelling & seasonal suspension

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
I will be travelling in Asia and would like to use my phone to connect to wi-fi, but I don't need to make calls or text. If I get a seasonal suspension option, will I still be able to use wi-fi for free?
Photo of Monica Reed

Monica Reed

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,618 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
For sure, Monica! How long will you be gone for? I'm asking because it might make more sense (if you have a great plan you wish to keep) to keep your account the way it is and just take out your SIM card for the duration of your travels :) Either way, WiFi will still work!
Photo of Monica Reed

Monica Reed

Thanks!

I'll be gone for about 11 months and I currently have a 30$ plan that is still offered so I think it makes sense to get a seasonal suspension.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

You know, Monica, in your case might I suggest a cheaper option: port out your number to (for example) Seven Eleven Speakout. It will cost you $25 plus their SIM card, but they will safeguard your number for up to a whole year.

When you come back from Asia, you will be able to take a Koodo plan and port back your number... saving yourself having to pay $15 each month just to keep your number.

You'll lose your current plan anyway, so just thought I'd mention this option to make life a little easier :)
Photo of Monica Reed

Monica Reed

Hi,

So I can't have a seasonal suspension for 11 months?

I have a tab of 155.00 so if I cancel my Koodo account and port our my number, I'll have to pay the 155.00.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Ooohhh I see! I'm so sorry I always, but ALWAYS forget about the TAB, lol! Yes go with seasonal suspension, I'm not sure if you can only have that for 6 months or the whole 11 months... but yes it would pay off your phone nicely I believe.
Photo of Monica Reed

Monica Reed

Ok, thanks.
Photo of Curtules

Curtules

• 19,666 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
One thing I should mention is that the Seasonal hold can only be added for a maximum of six months, and then cannot be re-added until another six months have passed.

After that thereshold you're placed automatically on the lowest possible plan.
Photo of Helene Fee

Helene Fee

• 60 Points
None of this tells me how to put my account on a seasonal suspension! Can someone please tell me how to do this?
Photo of Vanessa

Vanessa

• 666 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You can do the suspension in your Self-Serve account and it should be up to 6 months. Your current plan might not be available when switching to seasonal hold as it is a plan itself. You can get more assistance from customer service or an alternative solution if you want more than 6 months of suspension.

The suspension has to be done in your account at no charge or else a $25 fee applies if you want a rep. to do it for you. 
(Edited)
Photo of Louise Glass

Louise Glass

• 60 Points
I want a seasonal suspension for six months with no charge by not going through. Customer service
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

You won't be charged for something that can't be done in self service, that would be rather evil wouldn't it :) That said, you can also send them a private message on Facebook, which might be quicker than waiting on the phone.
Photo of Ronnie Kwan

Ronnie Kwan

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Wow, all this & still no way to know how to suspend my phone #. I went into self serve but didn't find anything to suspend my #. So can someone show me how to do it on my self serve account?
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

At this moment, you can't suspend your line in self service. Your only option is to call in or send a private message on Facebook, Ronnie.
Photo of Angela M. Kuhn

Angela M. Kuhn

• 70 Points
Hi,

I just called Koodo to activate a seasonal plan and asked about the wi-fi connection to double check. The representative said the device would not be able to use wi-fi. I think he was confusing what I meant by wi-fi, as he started mansplaining that the wireless data, texting and calls won't be available under the seasonal hold.  It doesn't make sense to me that my device wouldn't be able to connect to a wi-fi network, but I don't really know if the company can actually block that.

Can someone please verify that wi-fi capabilities are not affected by the seasonal hold?
Photo of Allan

Allan, Mobile Master

• 59,516 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You will be able to use wifi, you will not be able to use a data connection.
Photo of Angela M. Kuhn

Angela M. Kuhn

• 70 Points
Great, thank you!