Today Apple announced the 6s. The iPhone 5s is listed on Apple site: $599 CDN vs. Koodo price ($350 + $360 tab) = $710 ~ $110 more! Why?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jonathan I

Jonathan I, Mobile Master

• 114,344 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well it literally just changed... they were originally $719.99 on the Apple store website before the 6S announcement. Koodo may change their pricing eventually.
(Edited)
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

You're quite right of course - likely a time lag.  I wrote the comment to 'encourage them'.  : )
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

So, 17% discount on iPhone 5s pricing by Apple as of today
Photo of kenny azn

kenny azn

• 914 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Just hope the iphone upgrade program will come to Canada.
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

Hmm I was wondering about that.  The way I figure, with current exchange rate you are looking at over $40/mo. Cdn and approx. $500/yr to have the latest phone at all times - then there's your phone plan.  It's not for everyone but may appeal to some.  Financially it's not attractive at all.  The  part of this plan that appeals to me is that Apple will then have a lot of last model refurbished phones to sell....
Photo of Mark Gefner

Mark Gefner

• 64 Points
cause koodo tab sucks. greediness, nothing else behind it. they will lose customers over this, thats for sure
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

Whoa fella!  I like this company - my comment was just 'friendly prodding'.  It's likely a time lag but it would be nice if their policy was to change immediately   : )
Photo of Spence

Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Cant get to the Koodo Phones or Plans page at the moment.
They may be updating their price right now :)
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

Here's hoping......
Photo of Todd Leblanc

Todd Leblanc

• 880 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
this is my understanding of how the phone industry works, lets say koodo buys 5000 phones from apple they buy them to be sold at retail price. next thing you know apple holds a press event and says new phone gets released were going to drop the older models down a bit and put the new one at the same price even know they lowered the price on the older models they didn't lower the price for koodo, koodo still bought the stock at the original price to be resold at the retail price  why would koodo lower it to loose the money they put out 
Photo of Jeff Ferguson

Jeff Ferguson

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Take a look at most other carriers. Bell and TELUS have both dropped their prices to reflect the price change. I myself am currently with bell and am looking to switch to koodo. If they don't drop the price to match what the new retail price is then they won't be getting my business. I would have to believe I am not alone on this.

As well, you have to believe that koodo/telus bought the phones originally at cost or something close to (ie didn't pay the retail). While with the price drop, their mark up is less, they do still turn a profit.

I'm just kind of surprised that they still have the old retail price listed as at this point it is misinformation

Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

dead on!
Photo of forhanm .

forhanm .

A week has gone by since my first post on how the iPhone 5s price on Koodo website has been discounted to reflect Apple's $110 price drop.  Still waiting......the current phone offer on the 5s is more expensive than buying a phone from Apple!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.