These data overage fees are RIDICULOUS!! $5/100 mb? come on!!

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I was going to change my daughter's plan to try and save a bit of money.  The current double data plans look good, but when you look at the rates you'll be charged if you go over the allowed data, it is ridiculously expensive!! what gives? I have an older plan for myself which is pay per use for any overages and that's still expensive in my opinion but not outrageous. 
Photo of Kristen MacDonald

Kristen MacDonald

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,080 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I agree.  Sadly this seems to be the normal overage rate across canada from all major providers right now
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,984 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Same here. Overage is insane. I think they introduced the shock free data plans just so that people can avoid the shocking overages :P
Photo of Marty McFly

Marty McFly

• 1,130 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yep, this is Canada. What I do, is whenever I am out and about, I make sure I connect to all the free wifi spots that I can (coffee shops, shopping centres, grocery stores, fast food restaurants, etc). That way, my phone will automatically connect to them when I am in range with them in the future. I also have Shaw (Internet), and they have a zillion wifi zones around. It doesn't solve our problem of expensive data, but it does help.

Another thing maybe to try, is to set your apps to use only wifi. Sometime apps in the background are connecting and using your carrier data and you don't even know it.
(Edited)
Photo of jackies

jackies

• 1,146 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree..that really need to change that.I get the top plan..10gigs of data but then I pay $5 /100 mg after that.They have no higher plans :(
Photo of David

David, Mobile Master

• 93,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Then possibly Telus' offering would better fit your needs. You can buy larger plans (up to 40GB per month) or if you only need a few more GB you can buy a data add on at $25 / 2GB, or $15 / 1GB, or $7.50 / 300MB.
Photo of jackies

jackies

• 1,146 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks that does sound better.I haven't always used this much data.
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,204 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can also use opera max if you have an android phone. You can get probably 20-30% more data use with it. Or grab the fido data sim for some cheap extra data.