Texting from the US

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
Hi,I have an Android phone, I have the $40/month plan.I will be traveling to the US, so if I understand correctly, I will be able to text.One of my friends is also traveling with me. Does it incur more charges to text to a Canadian phone while in the US?
Thanks!
Photo of Jenny Chan

Jenny Chan

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Dinh

Dinh, Mobile Master

• 42,376 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
hi Jenny,

Koodo is a Canadian cellphone company, their coverage doesn't include US. When you travel to US, you are "roaming". Text, call and data are charged extra and differently. you could check out this page: https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam

To your question of texting to Canadian while in US: Yes, there is an extra charge.
(Edited)
Photo of Goran

Goran, Mobile Master

• 97,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You also have the option of pay per use at 5 dollars per 100 outgoing SMS in the US.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,910 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This pay per use option is enabled when Easy roam is off.  But make sure your data is off or else it will get super expensive very fast
Photo of Jenny Chan

Jenny Chan

Thanks a lot to all of you!I understand what roaming exactly means now :)
Paying 5$/100 texts is not that bad. But I don't understand what the Easy roam option is. And I don't understand either what turning off data means... I have 500MB and the service is automatically suspended if I go over.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,652 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I recommend you turn off data in your settings on your phone otherwise it is $5/20MB.
Photo of Jenny Chan

Jenny Chan

ah sorry, just saw all the answers, you guys are fantastic!Everything is clear now, but I have one last question (and no, I don't have a prepaid plan). How do I disable data while in the US?
Photo of Jenny Chan

Jenny Chan

ok so turning data off is in the phone settings. Will do that then.Thanks again!
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 196,652 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data > Off
Photo of Jenny Chan

Jenny Chan

perfect, thank you! :)