Koodo charged to transfer a file through USB

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Koodo charged me for 1.2 GIG of data to transfer a file through Windows Explorer from my Galaxy 3 phone to my PC through a USB cable. They told me I should have disabled "Mobile Data" first. Does that make sense?
Photo of Robert Singerling

Robert Singerling

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Chad Burr

Chad Burr, Mobile Master

• 203,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There's a possibility your pc used your phone as a modem for the time that it was connected so yeah
Photo of Taylor Upshaw

Taylor Upshaw

• 1,856 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is likely exactly what happened. Unfortunately when this happens it counts towards data usage.

Robert Singerling

I dug a little deeper and found that Yahoo did a sync on Nov 7 and used Background 1.74 GB. Why would it do that?
Photo of Spence

Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Where are you seeing the Data usage info. In the Koodo app or in your phone under usage?

Robert Singerling

In the phone under usage
Photo of Raza

Raza

• 1,446 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That would be really weird especially if your file was on hard disk of your computer and you connected your phone as USB storage. May be same or another file was downloaded directly via phone from online source without realizing?

Robert Singerling

I connected the phone to the computer with a USB cable, opened Windows Explorer and dragged a Video file to my Desktop. When I checked under Data Usage it says Yahoo Mail used 1.74 GB in the background to sync. This is the first time I've connected it to the computer. What did I do wrong?
Photo of Spence

Spence

• 8,354 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You know, it sounds like after you transferred the file to your phone, it then synchronized that file on your phone with yahoo. Check your yahoo acct sync settings.

Robert Singerling

Thanks. I checked the box for "Restrict background data"┬á ´╗┐Disable background data on mobile data network only. Wi-Fi will be used if available. Hopefully that will stop this from happening again
Photo of Taylor Upshaw

Taylor Upshaw

• 1,856 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It doesn't sound like the data usage came from the transfer. I think what may have happened was the video file(s) was backing up with your yahoo account. I'm not a yahoo user so I'm unsure what their media systems are like, however I know that a Google account has options to backup your media. This could have been what happened
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 61,576 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.