Terrible Reception/Cell Service iPhone 7 128GB

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Previously I had a iPhone 5C which I used no differently and in the same geographical areas without issue. With my iPhone 7 I would say 20% of the text I send require me to click "try again" as they fail to go through (SMS) and occasionally calls drop.

At home I typically have 1 bar (circle) of service most of the time where on my 5C I had 2-3... In town (Saint John, NB) where I always had 5 bars (circles) I get 2-3 on my iPhone 7 now. People beside me in class with iPhone 6 will have full bars and I am bouncing between 2-3. 

My 5C in the same locations never dropped calls and I maybe saw 5 "try agains" on sending text messages in the 2 year I owned the phone. On my iPhone 7 I get many many try agains per day (Probably 30-40 out of 300 sent a day)...

Now, in town where I have 2-3 bars I do get less try agains, but still get them (this is in what should be a full service area). At home it's just non stop. 
Photo of Shayne Mott

Shayne Mott

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Paul Deschamps

Paul Deschamps, Mobile Master

• 199,580 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Does anyone else you know have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus and if so how is there reception? This may help you figure out if it's a bad unit or a problem with the iPhone model it's self. I do know there's an issue with Apple having sourced their chips from two different makers, Qualcomm and Intel and the Intel ones have much worse reception according to articles I've read. I'm not sure which model Koodo carries as to which chips are in them.
Photo of Shayne Mott

Shayne Mott

That's a smart question. Unfortunately no one else I know has an iPhone 7. 
I will ask some friends if they know anyone with one. Yes there was recently a huge issue in the states with all verizon users having terrible reception on the 7 (which they fixed via an update). I'm not sure if this is similar or not. 
I've never seen 5 bars on this phone in the month I have had it. Which is really odd. 
(Edited)
Photo of tyler

tyler

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's recently been discussed that the model numbers of the iPhone 7 and 7 plus that ship in Canada have an Intel modem with significantly poorer LTE reception in comparison to other regions that ship with a Qualcomm modem, and show excellent LTE performance.

For reference: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/qua...

FYI: I have a 7 Plus and notice significantly weaker reception in areas of poor reception compared to my previous phone
Photo of Shayne Mott

Shayne Mott

Yeah, mine feels weaker to the point it feels broken. Very interesting, thanks for the link. 
Photo of Jeff

Jeff

• 62 Points
I'm having the same texting issue. It's not 20% of the time, but it's frequent enough. And I not only got a new SIM card (the old SIM card worked perfectly fine in my iPhone 6s without a single failed text), but I just got a replacement iPhone 7 that's exhibiting the same issue.

Here's the weird part: every single text that fails with Try Again is received on the other side. So if a given text fails twice (so I tap Try Again twice), the recipient gets three copies of the message.

The most frequent occurrence of failures is when I have two bars.

So it would appear to be some sort of incompatibility between iPhone 7 devices and Koodo's network?
(Edited)