Switching Companies

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Unlocks are now free

I am currently with Bell Mobility . i am interested in moving over to KODO. Would I be able to use my phone that I paid off with Bell and use it with Kodo?
Photo of Jaime DeMerchant

Jaime DeMerchant

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 105,270 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, only if you unlock it from Bell.

Also, here's the info to transfer your number : http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-s...

You would need your last invoice with you when opening the Koodo account!
Photo of Justin Robichaud

Justin Robichaud

• 5,002 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Not to try and sell the company I work for. Lol.

If you have a Future Shop nearby, bring your bill with your account number over there. We have access to many carriers including Bell and Koodo. We can do the number port from Bell to Koodo in-store quickly and easily.

Jaime DeMerchant

And is unlocking my bell phone possible to Kodo? I live in petawawa lol! But may be able to do if in ottawa :)

Justin Robichaud

Sure is!

Just give Bell a call. Prepare yourself for a $50 unlocking fee though. Also! Make sure the unlock is successful before beginning the port!

Once your phone is unlocked, and you have your account number in hand the rest is history!

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to ask!
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

• 142,618 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
$50 to unlock with Bell? Yikes, I would only pay that if you have an iPhone, Jaime. Most phones can be unlocked for a fraction of that amount :)

Justin Robichaud

That's Bell's flat rate fee, no matter the phone. They haven't quite caught up with the very low $35 fee that Koodo/Telus have right now.

They really can't be done safely any cheaper. Online codes are very unreliable and can, in few cases, brick phones.

3rd Party booths that do unlocking, at least in my local area, typically charge $100-$150.
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Oh come on now, Justin, don't talk nonsense haha. I have unlocked dozens of phones, it is just a matter of punching in a code. For example the Moto G can be unlocked for $3, you'd be CRAZY to pay $50 or even $35 for the same code.
So I stand by what I said, depending on the phone I would definitely go to a 3rd party.

Justin Robichaud

I've also seen dozens of my customers as well as a colleage brick phones with online codes.

Just sayin', it happens.

100% depends on the source of the codes.
(Edited)
Photo of Sophia

Sophia, Mobile Master

Justin, I am usually the last person on earth to get involved in an argument, but you are frightening poor Jaime for nothing here.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick a phone by inserting another carrier's SIM card, and then punch in the unlock code it asks for. Simply impossible.

You can brick a phone in several other ways - mostly root related, or installing certain apps and tools. This is clearly not the question here.

However Jaime has not responded yet what type of phone - for all we know it may be the Nexus series and there won't have to be any unlocking involved.

Let's not spread false rumors and unfounded scares unless it is helpful to the customer... and as I said I hate arguments so I won't respond further to this particular discussion. Peace out :)

Edit: oh wait yes if you go to an unreputable seller you could get in trouble too, so repeatedly entering an unlock code is not advisable either. So in that respect I grant you are right :)
Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,582 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm with Sophia here. Please don't spread misinformation.

Justin Robichaud

I believe the correct number of incorrect code entries is 3 and the phone will no longer have the ability to be unlocked. By anyone. I researched it too!

Putting the code in a few times can easily be done by an uninformed person messing around online with no prior knowledge.

I guess using the word "brick" wasn't the best choice. Lol.

I never knew how it happened. Just that customers left my store with no issue and came back with issues after trying online codes.

I just tell people to avoid it to save my butt.
(Edited)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

• 23,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sophia is right! Jaime if you feel like you need help unlocking your phone. Come visit any Koodo Shop and they can unlock your Bell Smartphone for $35 (excluding iPhones), why pay $15 more from Bell. Plus, Koodo shops are dedicated to only one service, which is Koodo.
Photo of Hellothere

Hellothere

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
10 tries, not 3.

Justin Robichaud

Good to know!
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,498 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you buy the unlock code from your current carrier, they legally have some obligation to warrant what they sell.
Photo of JP

JP

• 50 Points
Just pay the carrier you are with to unlock their phone and be done with them. That's what I did and haven't looked back :)
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Hi Jaime,

Come in to any Koodo Corporate Shop and we can unlock your Bell smartphone (not including iPhones) for $35. As well, if you come to a Koodo Shop, you are guaranteed that you will get the best possible answers to any Koodo-related questions you may have as they are dedicated to everything Koodo.

Jaime DeMerchant

Hello, I have an iPhone so are you still able to unlock?
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Ah! Sorry Jaime iPhones require a different way of unlocking. You will have to bring it to Bell or call in to their customer service to get it unlocked.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 192,202 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Erwin,
Koodo charges for that now?

I thought they unlocked for free when starting a new account?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/08/09/koo...
Photo of Erwin

Erwin

Hey Dennis,

It was a promotion, which ended recently on January 15th. It sure was popular though.
Photo of Dennis

Dennis, Mobile Master

• 192,202 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If only they actively promo'd it
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 64,884 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That promo may have boosted business temporarily, but led some people, including me, to believe it was standard operating procedure. Some posters took some flak for recommending it.
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That's unfortunate...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.