Support texting OC Transpo @ 560-560!

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Implemented
Hello,

I am an Ottawa resident who switched from TELUS to Koodo prepaid last month and generally love the service Koodo provides.

However, I was surprised and disappointed when I tried to text my bus stop at 560-560 and got: "Koodo does not support this service" as a response.

I understand you do not want to support premium texts, but, c'mon, this is free and directly maintained by the City of Ottawa. Many bus stops in the region don't have schedules posted. Our local buses aren't exactly punctual, so GPS schedule updates are a must-have feature.

Interestingly, Air MILES spam texts from 263-98 come through no problem... so I'm skeptical that it's purely a tech issue w/r/t short codes.

There is an OC Transpo app but it takes about two minutes to load and search for my stop... which chews up my data and also makes me late for the bus! Not a happy situation in -20 weather! Koodo, help keep me warm and on time for work! I'm confident you can help fix this issue. Thanks for listening.
Photo of Toffee Hazelnut

Toffee Hazelnut

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ivan

Ivan, Mobile Master

• 96,382 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm neither in Ottawa nor do I use public transit, but I do support your idea.
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

• 51,386 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for taking the time to write to us Toffee! We're working on removing the block for this shortcode, it should be completed in about a week or so. I'll keep you updated as soon as I know more :)
Photo of Some random Mobile Master

Some random Mobile Master, Mobile Master

• 39,554 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't live in Ottawa, but if something like this gets resolved this quick, my hat's off to Koodo and its reps! Seriously, this is an example of how you treat customers and have them stay! Kudos!
Photo of Toffee Hazelnut

Toffee Hazelnut

That's great, thank you Ashley!
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

Hey Toffee, just wanted to provide you with an update. We're still working on this and we hope to get this fixed by this Friday or early next week. Thanks for being so patient!
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

Everything should be working now Toffee! Please let me know if you're still having difficulties with this short code.
Photo of Toffee Hazelnut

Toffee Hazelnut

AMAZING! I am super-impressed and happy with the Koodo team! I will definitely be spreading the word to friends and family about the responsive service and quick fix. You've won a fan for life. :)

If you guys are ever in town I'll take you skating on the canal and/or buy you BeaverTails. Cheers and thanks again!
Photo of Ashley

Ashley

We may just take you up on that Toffee :) I'm happy that you're pleased with the outcome. Feel free to drop by the community if you ever need our help again in the future :)
Photo of Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just wanted to let you know that this thread (and the ones for other cities) helped me decide to choose Koodo. So many prepaid-only companies (*cough* gas station mobile *cough*) just block all short codes, ruining my transit groove. So the fact that you are fixing this, and listening, is amazing. Best sales pitch ever!
Photo of Dina Kutziubas

Dina Kutziubas

• 60 Points
Hi there, 
Based on this thread I assumed that I wouldn't be charged a premium for receiving the OCTranspo GPS times by text, but it turns out that I am. It looks like Koodo does not support this as a standard text, but the company is listed on the OCTranspo website as a carrier: http://www.octranspo.com/go_mobile/text_560-560#carriers. I wasn't charged for these texts when I had other providers, so this was a bit of a shock when I got my first Koodo bill this month. Does Koodo plan to keep these texts as a 'premium'?
Photo of Cory Baldwin

Cory Baldwin

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I spoke with OC Transpo after getting some bill shock. Up until the end of April, there hasn't been a charge as it is a free service. Apparently it was a problem on Telus' end and they were aware of it and planning to refund customers. They haven't fixed the problem, and as far as I can tell nobody at Telus told anybody at Koodo, or at least not anybody in billing and customer service. I'm waiting to see if I can get some supporting documentation from OC Transpo before going to Koodo again, as the person investigating my bill was supposed to call me a few days ago and never did.
Photo of Levis

Levis, Employee

• 2,174 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Cory, Koodo will also be refunding its customers that got charged for this. The date when the credit will  be applied is still to be determined. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.