Sudden data spike during phone call

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
At my waterfront on an inland Canadian lake and made a phone call to my daughter. Suddenly I had 2122.38 MB data usage spike at the same time. WHY?
Photo of Shannon

Shannon

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Robert

Robert, Mobile Master

• 102,222 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hello Shannon.

Go in your phone's data usage and you will se what used so much data during that time. You will then have your answer!
Photo of Mark Kokolsky

Mark Kokolsky

• 10,722 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My guess is that your phone didn't all of a sudden use that much data all at once. Did you receive a notification that you have used that much? Even doing system updates, 2122Mb is a lot to use in one shot. My guess is that you've used that much through your billing cycle.
Photo of BobTheElectrician

BobTheElectrician

• 59,682 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If your phone was off or out of range in cottage country for a while, notifications (and usage values) would have been backing up until you turned on the tap by making that call. The unreceived message warning you that you were reaching 90% of your limit would probably have revised itself to account for all the usage up to date.
Photo of Evelina Preshyon

Evelina Preshyon

• 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I know when I go out of town , my Wi-Fi is off , and always make sure that my data is not accidently turned on...I shut my phone down when I don't have any service running...only common sense...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.